• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daniel

I live in NH btw.

Ok, I wanted to test drive a Honda Insight but the dealer wouldn't let me (this was in Mass). They finally agreed to let me do this but I had to start the process of buying a vehicle. I did sign some paperwork and put down some money. This was done in a weekend. On Sunday night after thinking about it some more I decided not to get the car so I called the dealer. No one was in so I left a message. On monday I got a call that everything had been finalized and I could pick up the car. I asked them if they got my message and they claimed they didn't. I then went to the dealer and spent and hour and a half debating with their financial whatever the guys title was over how they could go about keeping the car and selling to someone else. The dealer eventually resorted to name calling and starting a "my word vs yours" argument and decided to deliver the car any ways. Now I'm stuck with a car I don't want because the dealer won't take it back, what can I do?

E-mail me back with some suggestions at [email protected].

T

tori85

First of all, it is illegal for the dealer to not allow you to test drive a vehicle, before purchase.

The paper work that you started to process, just so you could test drive, was done with thier underhandness.

Contact your local Better Business Bureau, let them know of the trouble you are having. They would definately be able to assist you.

Also think about contacting your local large newspaper. Bad advertising of the Dealer, may help in returning the vehicle.

Another thing you could do, is call the owner of the Dealership, explaining what had transpired. He/She may assist you.

If this is a new vehicle, I would contact the manufacturer as well.

For a major purchase, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked.

Do not title the vehicle in your name!
Unless this is resolved. That will only make it look like you agreed on the purchase. You should not have even taken delivery of the vehicle.

Call another Dealership in your area, explaining what had happened, they may even be able to give you some pointers.

D

Daniel

Thanks for the suggestions Tori85. Only problem is that in NH they require that the dealer title the car in your name so unfortunately this kind of already screwed me.

B

Bailey

I don't know how much it will help you, but I would suggest contacting the NH AGO.(Attorney General's Office) I work for a very large company and address escalated issues on behalf of Presidents and VP's. I also respond to complaints from Regulatory Agencies. The AGO is someone you don't want to mess with. THe BBB is only a gathering place for information. Alot of the time, no one will ever find out what the dealer is doing unless they specifically go to that BBB and request information on Complaints filed. The Attorney Generals Office, I believe, has alot more power and will be a little more proactive in assisting you.

Don, TX

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dear Tori:

With regard to your statement:

"For a major purchase, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked."

Could you please cite the law in your, or any, jurisdiction with regard to that statement? I would be extremely interested, especially as it regards vehicle purchases.

Thank you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

JETX

Tori85, you make two very interesting claims in your response to this thread. They are:

1) "First of all, it is illegal for the dealer to not allow you to test drive a vehicle, before purchase.", and

2) "For a major purchase, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked."

I would be very interesting in seeing these 'laws' that you claim exist. Please advise what state and the citation.

Thanks in advance for what I hope will be a response.....

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

D

Daniel

I contacted the AGO but they told me to talk to the Mass AGO which then suggested nothing. I'm thinking of talking to a consumer law expert on this matter because a friend told me you have 3 days, I saw a web site that claimed no rights, and tori claims 30 days. So far I only have the car up for sale with no luck. Then another dealer claims I bought a car from them (which they also titled for me, how lucky), I only went in there to ask some questions and nothing else; somehow that dealer got me a loan and paid for the car. Gosh, this is frustrating. Thanks for everyones help though.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel:
I contacted the AGO but they told me to talk to the Mass AGO which then suggested nothing. I'm thinking of talking to a consumer law expert on this matter because a friend told me you have 3 days, I saw a web site that claimed no rights, and tori claims 30 days. So far I only have the car up for sale with no luck. Then another dealer claims I bought a car from them (which they also titled for me, how lucky), I only went in there to ask some questions and nothing else; somehow that dealer got me a loan and paid for the car. Gosh, this is frustrating. Thanks for everyones help though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The only way this can happen to you is if you keep signing papers at the dealerships. STOP SIGNING THINGS or this is going to continually happen, and you'll wind up with a stable of cars.

Also, the 3-day "Cooling Off" period is STRICTLY and ONLY regarding "door-to-door" sales or when you are sold anything above a certain amount of money IN YOUR HOME, ONLY.

It does NOT APPLY to sales made to you OUTSIDE of your home - - ON ANY TYPE OF PURCHASE or IN ANY AMOUNT.

Also, the reason why TORI85 hasn't answered Steve's and my questions is because the "laws" that TORI85 was talking about, DON'T EXIST !! There are no such laws, and TORI85 is misleading you.

When you want to know something, ask for IAAL, or Steve Halkut, or Mark Replogle, or HomeGuru. You'll get the straight, and correct, answers from us.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited August 09, 2000).]

D

Daniel

TO IAAL
"The only way this can happen to you is if you keep signing papers at the dealerships. STOP SIGNING THINGS or this is going to continually happen, and you'll wind up with a stable of cars."

The other car they claim I own is from a VW dealer, where all I did was ask them how easy it was to get hold of a turbo beetle with cloth seats since they didn't happen to have any. I gave them my name and number. Three weeks later they call me to tell me that they got all the paper work done and that I can pick up the car anytime. I did not sign anything, I just asked them that simple question.

The honda dealer simply wouldn't let me test drive the car without signing anything, and I'll admit I let the techy side of me get the best of me since I was just curious how the Insight drove compared to a normal automobile. In retrospec I shouldn't have done that, but the dealer shouldn't have been that unethical either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">