• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Councilor Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rider

I signed a contract with a debt counciling service who promised to consolidate all my credit card debt at low interest rates with no late fees or creditors calling me. I had to put up an advance payment that they came up with and then I would pay one payment to them and they would pay my creditors. Because of set up time, they would skip one month's payment to all my listed creditors but I would get that payment back if I completed the program. I was leary of this part but they assured me they would work with my creditors and everything would be fine. I made all my payments on time but they failed to pay all my creditors on time. Consequently, I had many late fees that just added to my debt. I called this service at least once a month to straighten things out, but they never did or would never get back to me. Most times that I called, they wouldn't even talk to me. They would tell me to fax my statements and they would take care of it but nothing came of it. One credit card company sent me letters from a lawyer. I finally got fed up (after late payments started showing on my credit report, and quit the program. By this time some of my interest charges were more than my payments! Also I had been thrown off the program more than one time by more than one creditor. I had asked this company for my intial payment back and all the late fees charged to me. Plus I wanted them to clear my credit report because it was their fault to begin with that payments were late. I had e-mailed a complaint through the better business bureau of which they are a member and I received a reply that they would get back to me in about 6 weeks. I have tried calling the BBB and e-mailing them more than once but can't get any answers. I don't even know if they are working on it still. They have a web site which is totally false advertising. I did everything they wanted me to but they didn't live up to what they said they were going to do and their reply was that I signed the agreement so I don't get my money back. Do I have any recourse here at all? Is there anything at all that I could do? Thanks for any help you can give me.

JETX

Since you didn't follow the directions on this site (WHAT STATE!!!???), you aren't going to get any specific help, but generally your recourse is to sue them. It sounds like you might be able to claim breach of contract, fraud, deceptive trade, etc.

Also, you won't be able to get your credit history corrected, since the creditors aren't going to be concerned with the possibility that the late payments were by 'your agent' instead of you.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

K

kem90

I'm sorry. I live in the state of Colorado. This company is in Florida. Should I try going through the BBB first or just find a lawyer?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halket:
Since you didn't follow the directions on this site (WHAT STATE!!!???), you aren't going to get any specific help, but generally your recourse is to sue them. It sounds like you might be able to claim breach of contract, fraud, deceptive trade, etc.

Also, you won't be able to get your credit history corrected, since the creditors aren't going to be concerned with the possibility that the late payments were by 'your agent' instead of you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">