• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Decency Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duff77

What is the name of your state? Well, it pertains to New Jersey, so I'll say NJ.

Okay, this is an oddball question and if it doesn't really fit in this forum I apologize ahead of time.

I'm writing a fictional story in which I need members of the local community to protest a particular business. This is a fictional ocean side town in New Jersey, patterned roughly after Wildwood, and the business is a boardwalk shop that produces T-shirts of a controversial political nature.

Here's what I'm wondering: If, in this situation, a local citizen took issue with such a business, under the belief that their product line was violating local decency laws... Which I must assume exist in some form everywhere... To whom would, in general, such a citizen lodge their complaint? What body of local government would have jurisdiction? What kind of action would they potentially take--both with regards to investigating and possibly disciplining the business?

This isn't exactly the biggest issue in my plot, but to whatever degree I use it I'd like to be somewhere within the general bounds of realism. Any help is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">