• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

detrimental reliance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soscorpio

What is the name of your state? texas
a former employer enticed me to return with a large salary offer in respect to what i was earning. i was lured away from a secure gov't position in which i was in line to be the next manager. i replied to the offer stating interest but had a change in circumstances. my change was a conviction for a DWI and since i knew the position required driving i mentioned this to the vice-president who was the one attempting to re-hire me. She said it won't be a problem. so i accepted, relocated, lived a better lifestyle and then was notified after 5 months employment i will have to be terminated. They were informed by their insurance agent that they could not carry liability on someone with a previous DWI. i was told in fact i would not be carried on anyones policy due to the DWI, this is the new trend for insurance. i feel like this could have been looked into before i left my gov't job. i was honest about my circumstances they should be honest with me. i believe they did not concern themselves with my record and merely needed an employee quickly who knew the ropes of this business. now i have lost my seniority at my old gov't job and have signed leases and contracts for living arrangements in a place i could not afford without this new salary. do i have fair and recognizable beef with this employer under detrimental reliance? i did not receive any severance pay, only my final check. this was completely unexpected and i believe they had some forwarning because i returned the next day and they had already hired a new person in my position. I also was not compensated for accrued vacation. i was on salary and had no signed agreement of any kind. please help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You have nothing, and no cause of action.

Texas is an "at will" employment State. Since you had no contract for any length of employment, the employer could have fired you at any time, and you could have quit at any time.

It doesn't matter "why" they fired you. In an "at will" State, an employer doesn't need a reason to fire someone - - and you have not given me any reason to believe that there were any Title VII violations; e.g., age, gender, color, sexual preference, religion, etc.

IAAL

S

soscorpio

detrimental job offer

i am not contesting the firing. my problem with the situation is they hired me and chose to keep my liability status in the dark from their insurance company. they didn't have to pay a higher premium until "my little secret" was discovered. now it is time to pay the higher premium for my risk and they abandon me like trash.i am either too risky of a liability or i'm not. it shouldn't be a matter of well our "bluff" has been exposed so go have a nice day, sorry we used you like that. they showed they were willing to take the risk until that risk cost more money. where is the concern for me? thanks for any replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">