• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Developing Software with Visual Basic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dino99

Im starting a business selling software developed using Visual Basic and may be linking Microsoft Access to it. What do I need to consider to make sure I can distribute what I develope with out breaking any licensing agreements with the software makers?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dino99:
Im starting a business selling software developed using Visual Basic and may be linking Microsoft Access to it. What do I need to consider to make sure I can distribute what I develope with out breaking any licensing agreements with the software makers?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

. . . and you've read all the licensing that came in the box?

. . . and you've talked to Microsoft and they said . . . ?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

S

SawMeComing

I am new to this forum and came seeking advice. I saw your post. I am an independent software developer. So I thought I’d let you know how I handle the licensing. However, I am obviously not perfect or I wouldn’t be here seeking advice, so here is how I handle my software.

1) Most pre-requisite software I require that my client have their own licenses installed and at a specific (minimum) level prior to installing my software. That’s true for Windows or Access.
2) If you do not want to require your client to purchase and install Access you can purchase the Office Developers Kit which has the distributable run-time for Access.
3) For ActiveX or 3rd Party components I purchase the developers license. Any ActiveX or 3rd Party tools I scrutinize carefully for run-time fees and I avoid them. However, if I choose to use one with royalty or run-times I decide if it is a cost I want to assume for my Cost of Goods Sold or if I want to have the client purchase it. If you opt for the client be prepared to pitch it to them in advance and give them as many options as possible. All the ActiveX have distribution notes that explain what dlls need to be packaged with your code.
4) Look in the help text or under the MSDN sites for what is required to ship with Visual Basic. Unless you have done something different, you are free to distribute the required pieces.
5) Wise is a great package that builds setup.exe ‘s and assists in packaging the run-time for VB.
6) Make sure when you install your product that you check the date and versions on shared dlls (such as the ones required for VB). Don’t stomp (overlay) a more recent version than you ship. I bet 9/10 of the problems that we all blame on Windows is from careless developers that overlaid Windows stuff and it surfaced much much later.
Good Luck. I hope you have better luck collecting than I have had on my past couple of contracts. I just always think the best of people and get too deep into the code. I don’t seem to notice when they start running over me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">