• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disclaimers/notices on legal web site

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laird

Any thoughts on what disclaimers or notices must/should an attorney have on a web site?
For example how might these areas be addressed: jurisdictional limitations, limitations of practice, non-confidentiality of email, non-creation of attorney-client relationship.

ALawyer

It depends on your state ethics or bar rules. Regard it as advertising. Truth and full disclosure. Lok at some good big firm sites and also at attorneypages.com and some of the sites for lawyers on it. And in some states, like Texas, you must file with the state too.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

L

laird

This email will be limited to jurisdictional disclaimers. It seems to me that looking at one's own state's ethics or bar rules is just the beginning of the journey. Due to the universal nature of the internet, if a website is an advertisement, it must comply with all local ethics/bar regulations, unless jurisdictional limitations are properly disclaimed. So to be safe, it appears that the attorney/firm must make it absolutely clear that the website (advertisement) is only directed to people in the intended jurisdiction(s) or keep up to date on advertising rules for attorneys in every state. Is this a safe assumption upon which to write a disclaimer of jurisdictional limitations? Are these disclaimers really effective? The difficulty of keeping up to date on advertising rules for every jurisdiction seems daunting at least, but the risk of not doing so is severe. Thus, a (if not the) primary advantage (the ease of reaching vast numbers of potential customers) of the internet is frustrated and it may be time to reevalute our rules of professional conduct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">