• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discounts for Police/Fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Just a quick question. Is it wrong for police and fire-fighters to get a discount? There is a deli near me that gives them a discount, and as far as I can tell, sometimes free stuff about once a week. Personally, I think that they should eat free. However, I've always thought that they couldn't do that sort of thing. Just wondering, as it's starting to lead to preferential treatment.

Thanks a lot everyone.

wyett717

The deli can offer discounts/free meals at their own discretion. There is no law that prohibits expressing gratitude towards others. You might be surprised to know that there are many benefits for public safety/military personnel.

What preferential treatment is taking place?

Last edited:

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Just a quick question. Is it wrong for police and fire-fighters to get a discount? There is a deli near me that gives them a discount, and as far as I can tell, sometimes free stuff about once a week. Personally, I think that they should eat free. However, I've always thought that they couldn't do that sort of thing. Just wondering, as it's starting to lead to preferential treatment.

Thanks a lot everyone.
Offering police and fireman a discount - just fine.

Offering police and fireman incentives to break the law, ignore violations or give preferential service - illegal.

For example giving the meter maid a free sandwich with the explicit (or tacit) understanding that s/he will ignore parking violations of your delivery van.

Last edited:

racer72

I receive a number of discounts based on my employement and others based on my membership in an organization. Others do not get the discounts. Perfectly legal.

The preferential treatment isn't even close to thank you for protecting us. Believe it or not, there are a majority of police in the city I live, that are biased towards different groups that do this sort of thing. For example; at my house, I've called because it's been vandalized or broken into. A report is taken, and I have to follow up with the detectives. I am required to call them, and check status, or see if they have questions for me. At the deli, not the case at all, they get a drive-by almost every 2-3 hours now. They also get a detective in almost daily to "go over details of the case." It's a little excessive. And as for the value of the items stolen, mine was roughly triple the value stolen and two and a half times damaged. I understand that the facts of every case are different, however, when I asked about the difference in techniques, I was told that the Department is stretched really thin and they have little time for residential non-violent crimes.

All I"m getting at is that the police clearly are giving mush more attention to a store that hands things out to them daily, than a resident who does not.

I'm not worried about them actually getting the discount and me not, I could care less. I'm worried about the treatment that comes with it. My brother is in the Marines, he gets tons of discounts, that's reasonable to me. However, the people giving them, don't expect anything else for them.

Examples of more of the things? Management gets to park on sidewalks, in the street, blocking corners, and the view of stop signs. When residents complain, cops go in and have them move the car/truck. This happens 3-5 times a week. The owner of the building, has been allowed to pretty much park where ever he wants. There have been two accidents in the last week alone, because people are unable to see the stop signs. Then police actually ticket those people, bot the guy blocking the sign. It's ridiculous.

I'm just kinda lost where to go with this, as I know it's not right.

Jeff

tranquility

Carl and a few others can step in with modern experience, but (while not illegal unless there is a quid pro quo) it was taught to me when I was in the police academy over twenty years ago, it is unethical to accept. The deli violates nothing, but the cop/fireman is not acting in an ethical manner. One thing both jobs want is to be considered professional. One aspect of being a professional is a code of ethics or conduct. Accepting such things is a violation.

You Are Guilty

Carl and a few others can step in with modern experience, but (while not illegal unless there is a quid pro quo) it was taught to me when I was in the police academy over twenty years ago, it is unethical to accept. The deli violates nothing, but the cop/fireman is not acting in an ethical manner. One thing both jobs want is to be considered professional. One aspect of being a professional is a code of ethics or conduct. Accepting such things is a violation.
I would think just about every major metro PD has a similar rule (I know first hand that NYPD does). People are allowed to offer, PD is not allowed to accept - free, discounted, whatever. To steal language from the court, to do so gives rise to the "appearance of impropriety", even when none exists.

You can try to file a complaint with the local IAD, but 1) it may not go anywhere and 2) it almost certainly will result in the police liking you even less.

wyett717

The preferential treatment isn't even close to thank you for protecting us. Believe it or not, there are a majority of police in the city I live, that are biased towards different groups that do this sort of thing. For example; at my house, I've called because it's been vandalized or broken into. A report is taken, and I have to follow up with the detectives. I am required to call them, and check status, or see if they have questions for me. At the deli, not the case at all, they get a drive-by almost every 2-3 hours now. They also get a detective in almost daily to "go over details of the case." It's a little excessive. And as for the value of the items stolen, mine was roughly triple the value stolen and two and a half times damaged. I understand that the facts of every case are different, however, when I asked about the difference in techniques, I was told that the Department is stretched really thin and they have little time for residential non-violent crimes.
Duh. The police will call you if they have any questions/information for you, they don't have to keep in contact with you if there is nothing to discuss. And drive-bys are a heck of a lot more involved than the property damage at your house, so the deli is entitled to have law enforcement frequent the place. Free sandwiches aside, the crime in and of itself at the deli is enough to require police presence. When they say they don't have enough resources for non-violent crimes, they probably are not pulling your leg.

And drive-bys are a heck of a lot more involved than the property damage at your house, so the deli is entitled to have law enforcement frequent the place. Free sandwiches aside, the crime in and of itself at the deli is enough to require police presence. When they say they don't have enough resources for non-violent crimes, they probably are not pulling your leg.
I can understand not having resources, however, virtually identical crimes, only the house had a higher value.
BTW, my neighbor's house was broke into today also.

What exactly is more involved about a drive-by? I never said I didn't want them at the deli.

Jeff

wyett717

When you say "drive-by" are you talking about a drive-by shooting, or what? Regardless, the value of your property doesn't matter when it comes to crime. THAT would be preferential treatment!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">