• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disposal Of Equipment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tyco22

State of New York: Disposal Of Equipment

Is there any amount of time that you have to wait before you can dispose of left behind equipment?

I run a computer services company and as we grow, computer towers that are not picked up are starting to collect in the back of our store. These clients have not said they where leaving it behind but its to the point where we need to get rid of some of the non-working junk.

Since we opened our store, we have had a sign right where everyone can see it that states any equipment left behind longer than 60 days will be disposed of. We have not taken any action on this yet because we have never used a release form and are kind of hesitant to do so not knowing of any laws. In the future we plan on doing so, so any info on such form would also be helpful.

As for now: Is it okay for us to send these towers off to be recycled?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Tyco22

Currently we just have the sign that we always point out on drop off.

We are working on a release form that clients will have to sign. In guessing because we do not have anything in writing that we can not do anything. Thats why I wanted to know if there was a law that says after x number of days we can get rid of the collection of junk.
Thanks.

JETX

Thats why I wanted to know if there was a law that says after x number of days we can get rid of the collection of junk.
And again... what did your customers say when you contacted them in WRITING about their unclaimed property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">