• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution of Maryland Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wvbaker

What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? Maryland
When switching from a Corporate status to a Sole Prop. I attempted to close the corporation in 2003. After submitting the forms, MD S.D.A.T. returned same, stating that 2003 Personal Property Return must be included.

During this time we changed residences and with all that goes with that, the letter was placed in a “safe place” and forgotten about. A few days ago, I received the 2005 Personal Property Return, which brought this issue to light again. I found the letter and called MD. S.D.A.T. in order to find what was needed this time to close the corporation. I was told the following.

As the corporation has no personal property to tax, complete the Articles of Dissolution, send that along with a $300.00 filing fee, for the previous return, as well as $100.00 for the filing fees for the Articles of Dissolution. After this was explained to me, the lady I spoke with mentioned the following. She advised, or you can wait until October and the state will send out a letter advising you of the delinquency and stating that if same isn’t paid, the corporation will be forfeited and the state will close the corporation itself. Doing it that way, you don’t have to send in the $400.00 and the corporation will still be closed.

I would ask anyone who may know this. If the purpose is to close the corporation anyway, why would I spend $400.00 and close it myself, when the state will do it anyway and I will save $400.00?
Is there something I’m missing here?

Please, anyone who may be familiar with this process in the state maryland, respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">