• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolve LLP without telling a partner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lataet

:eek::mad::confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I bagan a small business and pulled in 2 partners to assist. I felt sorry for them as they had just gotten kicked out of their business. This is a horse boarding business. I have put a lot of time and money into getting this business finally up and running and they have decided they wanted the business for themselves. Saturday they informed me that they have dissolved the partnership and closed the checking account and I am no longer on the business and I must leave immediately.

They have been saying terrible things about me behind my back to the other boarders, the landlord of the property, etc. My daughter had just begun getting her lesson business going as well and now her business is gone as we have no place in which to do lessons.

Is this legal? What recourse do I have? I've moved my horses quickly as they were actually beating on them and one of my horses they hate came up with a slit in her leg the night before. All the items I've purchased with my own money (not company money) are still there along with our personal items.

My daughter's business is now gone. What recourse do I have?

HomeGuru

:eek::mad::confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I bagan a small business and pulled in 2 partners to assist. I felt sorry for them as they had just gotten kicked out of their business. This is a horse boarding business. I have put a lot of time and money into getting this business finally up and running and they have decided they wanted the business for themselves. Saturday they informed me that they have dissolved the partnership and closed the checking account and I am no longer on the business and I must leave immediately.

They have been saying terrible things about me behind my back to the other boarders, the landlord of the property, etc. My daughter had just begun getting her lesson business going as well and now her business is gone as we have no place in which to do lessons.

Is this legal? What recourse do I have? I've moved my horses quickly as they were actually beating on them and one of my horses they hate came up with a slit in her leg the night before. All the items I've purchased with my own money (not company money) are still there along with our personal items.

My daughter's business is now gone. What recourse do I have?
**A: time to get the attorney that you should have hired prior to forming the LLC involved.

lataet

Recommendations?

Yes, I gathered that I need an attorney. It's a terrible thing when you trust someone and find out the hard way that people can be so evil.

Being a nice person is becoming overrated.

Polk County - Iowa...any recommendations for a good attorney?

RRevak

Who owns the barn in which you were working through? Who was it who actually began the business and are any of the details in writing..i.e agreements signed etc? Do you have any proof that they were indeed beating on your horses? Horses get injured all the time through being turned out with other horses, broken fences, and other misc ways. Unless you have direct witnesses or you yourself have seen them being abused than just believing this based on an injury which could have been the fault of a broken paddock fence etc will make you seem nuts. Horse boarding is a very difficult business to run, I know as I did it for 10 yrs before I opted out. You should have secured some sort of security measures.

lataet

Who owns the barn in which you were working through? None of the partners. We were leasing it from the property owner. He's all about the $$.

Who was it who actually began the business. I negotiated with teh landlord for the business, then pulled them in. Then we did the paperwork together.

Do you have any proof that they were indeed beating on your horses? A boarder's child told my daughter. Nothing I can probably use in court tho, right? I've seen this woman hit other horses of owners she doesnt like.

Horses get injured all the time through being turned out with other horses, broken fences, and other misc ways. Yes, horses are accidents waiting to happen. This horse was not turned out. She was in her stall. Her back leg was slit vertically in a clean line. There is nothing sharp in the stall.

This woman didn't talk to me - she would wait until I was gone to corner and harrass my daughter.

My daughter's business is gone - that's what I need to figure out now.

RRevak

So your concern is over the loss of your daughters students? Is that what you mean by her business? People leave trainers all the time for a multitude of different reasons. Unless you again have direct proof that these individuals left due to the defamation from the other partners, your blame of them is speculation. She can always find another barn to work out of and new students to take on.

lataet

Here are my concerns

1. Her business was just starting. Where we are now is not condusive to lessons - so there is a lapse until we can get to a new barn. Who knows when that will be?

2. My things are all still there as I can't get there to get them all and I'm worried what they will do if I try to take those things that are mine. I have no need for their things. They accused me of stealing their things. I haven't - dont need to.

3. They closed the checking account wtihout my knowledge AFTER I wrote a check to an employee - which clearly is no longer good.

4. They are slandering me to everyone they talk to with lies. They said my employee talked with the landlord and told him terrible things about me so the landlord wanted me gone. I spoke with the person who used to work for me this morning and he denied that - he has nothing to lose so I believe him.

They accused me of breaking in and stealing checks. Well, breaking into my own business? I took checks and deposited them to cover checks they wrote as they CONSTANTLY bounce checks and I have to stay on top of it.

Please help

HomeGuru

1. Her business was just starting. Where we are now is not condusive to lessons - so there is a lapse until we can get to a new barn. Who knows when that will be?

2. My things are all still there as I can't get there to get them all and I'm worried what they will do if I try to take those things that are mine. I have no need for their things. They accused me of stealing their things. I haven't - dont need to.

3. They closed the checking account wtihout my knowledge AFTER I wrote a check to an employee - which clearly is no longer good.

4. They are slandering me to everyone they talk to with lies. They said my employee talked with the landlord and told him terrible things about me so the landlord wanted me gone. I spoke with the person who used to work for me this morning and he denied that - he has nothing to lose so I believe him.

They accused me of breaking in and stealing checks. Well, breaking into my own business? I took checks and deposited them to cover checks they wrote as they CONSTANTLY bounce checks and I have to stay on top of it.

Please help
**A: we can't help you so please stop asking us. I already gave you advice.

RRevak

So why cant your daugher travel to her students barns? Is she already at another boarding barn with students on premises? What things are still there? If they're trivial than the best would be to just let them go without rocking the boat so to speak. But if they're things such as saddles etc than if they are indeed yours, nothing is stopping you from contacting the owner of the barn and calmly explaining that you are coming at a time of his convienence to retrieve your things. You want to make sure that the owner is present when you do this so as to not be further accused of theft etc. Make sure that whatever is taken is documented so again, there are no discrepencancy's. If he wishes to make a stink about it than you can contact the local police department to accompany you after explaining the situation to them. ONLY tell them that the owner of the barn is keeping items that legally belong to you without allowing you to retrieve them. The slandering is unfortunately an issue that I dont think you're going to get very far with. The horse business is cutthroat at times and not always the pleasant equestrian environment we want it to be. You need to sever all ties with these individuals and concentrate on starting anew elsewhere. If you no longer have contact with them than there are no issues unless you choose to make them.
You took checks? Was this with or without their knowledge and was this after they "kicked you out of the partnership"? If you were partners still at the time than the three of you were to have consulted one another regarding finances. If you did things without their knowledge and consent than that can come back to haunt you as it could look like you too were being dishonest financially. You need an attorney somewhere in the yesterday.

lataet

Thank you Florida

No - I deposited the checks in the company bank account like I have done before. I had no idea they had dissolved the partnership at that point.

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">