• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolving a 501c3 that never did any business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FranquieAS

I need to know what the cheapest and easiest way is to dissolve a 501c3 that never did any business and was never fully set up (no board of directors, no assets, no money, etc). I basically got the thing going and decided not to do it, and now I need to close it down. Very confused on how to do it!

FlyingRon

US law only.
A 501(c)(3) is only Federal tax recognition. You have to dissolve it under the laws of whatever state you are incorporated in. In many states, you don't even have to formally dissolve it, you can just let it lie fallow. Some states however will get testy if you don't make whatever periodic filings, etc..., some won't. This is why there was a snarky "US Law Only" in the previous response. We can't give an answer since you deleted the question this forum asks in each new thread as to what state you are in.

Typically, the only difficult part of dissolving non-profit (what you really have is a non-profit corporation under what ever state you incorporated in, a 501(c)(3) is again NOT a type of corporation), is that there are usually strong restrictions on what to do with the corporate assets. Of course, it sounds like your corporation may not have acquired any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">