• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DISSOLVING A CORPORATION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BROADST25

AFTER A CORPORATION IS DISSOLVED ,WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OUTSTANDING DEBT?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BROADST25:
AFTER A CORPORATION IS DISSOLVED ,WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OUTSTANDING DEBT?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mainly the stockholders and in some cases the officers of the Corporation. If the debts are unsecured they most likely are uncollectable unless due to unpaid State and Federal taxes etc. If debts were due to negligence, mismanagement etc. then the officers could be personally liable.

B

BROADST25

WHO WOULD DETERMINE, AND HOW,THAT THERE WAS MIS-MANAGEMENT, ETC. I ASK BECAUSE THERE WAS A TIME WHEN I TRIED TO KEEP THE BUSINESS GOING, BUT RECIEVCED NO SUPPORT FROM MY TWO "SHAREHOLDERS". I LET THINGS GO OUT OF PURE FRUSTRATION AND DEPRESSION. I OWN 52%, THE OTHER TWO SHAREHOLDERS OWN THE REMAINING 48%. NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO DISSOLVE THE CORP. HELP!!!

JETX

First, I would find it unusual if a 'minority group' of shareholders could dissolve a corporation. Most corporation laws just don't provide that ability.

Second, no one would be responsible for the corporate debts (unless personally guaranteed or malfeasance of management).

A corporation is a stand alone legal entity (just like a person). It is solely responsible for it's own debts and the shareholders nor the 'board' is personally liable. If a corporation ceases to exist, certain steps are required to pay the creditors and to liquidate its assets (just like when an estate closes the accounts of a deceased). NOTE: If you, or others, have personally signed to guarantee a corporate debt (common for most small corporations), that person will be liable for that debt.

Some thoughts:
1) What do you mean when you say, "no support from my two shareholders"? Do the Corporate By-Laws detail specific requirements for them? (Probably not). If so, you could pursue legal process to force compliance.
2) Do your By-Laws detail purchase of their shares (personal or corporate buy-back)? If so, buy them out.
3) Check with your state registration agency (Secretary of State, Corporate Registration, etc.) to see what requirements are needed to 'dissolve' a corporation.
4) Any attempts to show or prove malfeasance by the board of directors or shareholders to get them (you) responsible for corporate debts is a long and expensive process. Usually the cost is prohibitive and prevents most claims from being pursued. This also applies to an attempt to show that the 'corporation' was in fact an 'alter ego' for an individual.

Hope that this helps....

PS: Get your caps-lock key fixed. It is considered rude to 'shout' like that.

[This message has been edited by Halket (edited June 29, 2000).]

B

BROADST25

Dear Halket, Thank you for your information. VERY SORRY, about the caps key, I don't do much writing on the net. I'm from Phila. , can you help me find a lawyer? My lawyer is a business lawyer, but I get the feeling he's not up on his corporate law. You have made me feel more at ease with your advice, than he has in the two weeks since I retained him!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">