• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scotchlonghorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi, one of my income streams involves outsourcing web design to another web designer. Basically I promote the service and if a client wants me to design their website, I send the work to my designer. I receive a commission for providing him with the work and then I provide most of the contact with the client, unless they specifically ask to talk to him. Normally, I don't even think they realize that I am not the one actually building the website. I do this using my name, not a registered business. However, I am considering outsourcing the promoting portion of the work as well. Basically I would have people promoting the web design business and they would be the contact point with the client. They would direct the work to me and I would direct the work to my designer, or I would have the promoters direct the client to myself and I would then direct the work to my designer. They would also receive a commission of the sale and work on 100% commission. Do I need to register a business entity if I am to do this? Also I do not see any of them making more than $600 a year from this, but if they do, I should provide them with a 1099 correct? And if I need to do this, do I have to be registered as a business entity? Sorry if this is clear as mud, it's late and I wanted to throw this up before bed. If you have any answers the help is greatly appreciated, and if you need me to clarify anything I will be checking back in in the morning. Take care and good night.

FlyingRon

If you pay an individual more than $600 in a year, you must issue 1099's.

Operating under your name (or that of a corporation or LLC) you do not need to register a fictitious name.
Texas doesn't have any "business registration" requirements for sole proprietorship. You may wish to inquire if your local municipality has any such requirement.

scotchlonghorn

If you pay an individual more than $600 in a year, you must issue 1099's.

Operating under your name (or that of a corporation or LLC) you do not need to register a fictitious name.
Texas doesn't have any "business registration" requirements for sole proprietorship. You may wish to inquire if your local municipality has any such requirement.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">