• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need Business insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spotty

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Im planning my own business (with no employees) selling romantic items, lotions, massage oils, including adult toys at home parties- in the homes of the party Hostess. Similar to how tupperware parties run. Do I need business insurance? What kind? Does the type of product Im going to sell have an effect on the type of Insurance I should buy? One last question is should I stay as a sole proprietor or become an LLC? I am buying the products from a wholesale company then reselling to my customers.

Thanks for any advice,

Amy :eek:

divgradcurl

Do I need business insurance?
Do you have the resources to defend yourself (and pay off any adverse judgments against you) if you are sued? If so, then maybe you don't need insurance.

What kind? Does the type of product Im going to sell have an effect on the type of Insurance I should buy?
An insurance agent can help you with these questions.

last question is should I stay as a sole proprietor or become an LLC?
Well, with a sole proprietorship, you have the advantage of no formalities, and tax issues are usually less complicated, but the disadvantage is that you have unlimited personal liability if anything goes wrong.

An LLC requires certain formalities to set up, requires certain ongoing formalities, you have to keep personal and LLC finances separate, and tax issues are more complicated -- but if you follow all of the rules, you can avoid personal liability if something goes wrong -- only the LLC's assets are at stake.

You should probably sit down with a local attorney who can review your situation and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">