• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to file the form ARTS-GS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalittle

Hi everyone, first time here, nice to meet you all.

I plan to start a data management consulting business in California.
We can all work at home, don't need an office.
I think we do need to file the form ARTS-GS with the SoS, but I still wanna ask first.

If I register a facebook account or create a webpage by myself and do the same business, do I still need to file this form?
Do I need a business license?
Why I don't need any license, when I sell something in ebay? Any diference?

Thanks

FlyingRon

I think we do need to file the form ARTS-GS with the SoS, but I still wanna ask first.
Have you formed a corporation? The above applies only to CORPORATIONS not sole proprietorships or parternships.

Do I need a business license?
Why I don't need any license, when I sell something in ebay? Any diference?
If you operate a business you need a LOCAL (city or if you are not in an incorporated city, county) business license.
You need one even for eBay if you are doing so as a business (rather than casually selling personal property).

justalittle

Have you formed a corporation? The above applies only to CORPORATIONS not sole proprietorships or parternships.
Not yet.

If you operate a business you need a LOCAL (city or if you are not in an incorporated city, county) business license.
You need one even for eBay if you are doing so as a business (rather than casually selling personal property).

What do you mean with "doing so as a business"? Do I get paid from this conduct?
But I have a friend. She sells hats which are made by herself, I did ask her, she doesn't have any license, she hasn't file any form with the SoS.
She gets paid from her hat-business.
Another friend he sold his ipad in ebay. He doesn't have any license either.

I just wander, can I provide my service online and get paid without any filing or license? Thanks

FlyingRon

The secretary of state is not involved here for sole proprietorships

If you're engaged in business activities you must have a business license.
The hat business does sound like a business that requires a license.
If you are selling tangible items like hats in California, you're also obliged to collect and pay sales tax.

Selling random personal property you have isn't a business. But if you bought iPads to sell on eBay, that likely is considered a business.

Lots of small business help available out there.

LdiJ

The secretary of state is not involved here for sole proprietorships

If you're engaged in business activities you must have a business license.
The hat business does sound like a business that requires a license.
If you are selling tangible items like hats in California, you're also obliged to collect and pay sales tax.

Selling random personal property you have isn't a business. But if you bought iPads to sell on eBay, that likely is considered a business.

Lots of small business help available out there.
I think the bolded would depend on whether its a craft hobby that makes a little money, or is intended as a money making venture to provide income. Lots of crafters sell their wares just to help supplement their hobby...there is no intent to make a profit.

FlyingRon

While the IRS defines business has having a profit motive, I don't think the California municipalities uniformly hold such a view.
If you're selling stuff to the public, it quacks like a duck.

You can find out licensing requirements for your local municipality through this central database: http://www.calgold.ca.gov/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">