• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to have an organization??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Subelex

What is the name of your state? Pa

Hi, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot..... If I am in the wrong place, please direct me! ;)

I will try to keep this as short as possible.... 5 years ago, I lost my Mom, Sister and Niece to a drunk driver. Last year, myself, family and friends joined MADD and participated in their annual fundraising walk which is about 150 miles from where we live. We raised over $17,000 for MADD and really didn't receive any help in raising awareness in our county. This year, we participated again, but did not solicit donations like last year. We have decided that the best way to help raise awareness in our own communities would be to hold a festival and walk locally, post anti-drinking and driving billboards, and get our "name" out there. My question is this.... Do we have to be an organization to hold this festival and raise money? The money we would raise would pay for the billboards, some handicap playground equipment (this due to the fact that my Nephew, the only survivor from the crash, is now paralyzed), and the remainder would be donated to MADD on behalf of our group. Now, that's just a couple of the ideas we have had. We are still looking for other projects to do in our communities that would haelp raise awareness.... But, I am hoping that you get the main idea behind what we want to do....

Thanks in Advance,
Starr

Founder of Team SuBeLex a group of family and friends hoping to prevent another family from a senseless tragic loss at the hands of a drunk driver....

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Pa

Hi, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot..... If I am in the wrong place, please direct me! ;)

I will try to keep this as short as possible.... 5 years ago, I lost my Mom, Sister and Niece to a drunk driver. Last year, myself, family and friends joined MADD and participated in their annual fundraising walk which is about 150 miles from where we live. We raised over $17,000 for MADD and really didn't receive any help in raising awareness in our county. This year, we participated again, but did not solicit donations like last year. We have decided that the best way to help raise awareness in our own communities would be to hold a festival and walk locally, post anti-drinking and driving billboards, and get our "name" out there. My question is this.... Do we have to be an organization to hold this festival and raise money? The money we would raise would pay for the billboards, some handicap playground equipment (this due to the fact that my Nephew, the only survivor from the crash, is now paralyzed), and the remainder would be donated to MADD on behalf of our group. Now, that's just a couple of the ideas we have had. We are still looking for other projects to do in our communities that would haelp raise awareness.... But, I am hoping that you get the main idea behind what we want to do....

Thanks in Advance,
Starr

Founder of Team SuBeLex a group of family and friends hoping to prevent another family from a senseless tragic loss at the hands of a drunk driver....
Well, are you looking to pay taxes on your income?

Subelex

I'm not sure I'm understanding your direction....

Naturally I don't want to have to worry about taxes, or any of the other procedures of an organization for that matter. My question was whether or not we can raise money through fundraising without being an organization.... I'm more concerned about the legality of the fundraising, I guess. From what I understand, starting a non-profit is not a very easy task. So, if I don't need to, I don't want to. However, I don't want to find out later that we needed something "official" in order to accomplish the tasks that we are considering.

Thank You,
Starr

HomeGuru

I'm not sure I'm understanding your direction....

Naturally I don't want to have to worry about taxes, or any of the other procedures of an organization for that matter. My question was whether or not we can raise money through fundraising without being an organization.... I'm more concerned about the legality of the fundraising, I guess. From what I understand, starting a non-profit is not a very easy task. So, if I don't need to, I don't want to. However, I don't want to find out later that we needed something "official" in order to accomplish the tasks that we are considering.

Thank You,
Starr
**A: you need IRS 503C status or similar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">