• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to open a business as a freelancer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patrick1306

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

So here's my problem;
I started working as a freelancer a couple of months ago in New York City; I work from home under my own name for different clients.
I didn't bother opening a company or anything at first because I thought I didn't need to as an independent contractor.

But after reading on the internet I now ask myself do I need to open a sole proprietorship to operate legaly?
I am confused, some people seems to say freelancers don't need to as long as they operate under their real name and some other websites seems to say it's totaly illegal...

I am french, so not very familiar with the laws here, so if someone could help me it would be really nice.

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for my english)

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

So here's my problem;
I started working as a freelancer a couple of months ago in New York City; I work from home under my own name for different clients.
I didn't bother opening a company or anything at first because I thought I didn't need to as an independent contractor.

But after reading on the internet I now ask myself do I need to open a sole proprietorship to operate legaly?
I am confused, some people seems to say freelancers don't need to as long as they operate under their real name and some other websites seems to say it's totaly illegal...

I am french, so not very familiar with the laws here, so if someone could help me it would be really nice.

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for my english)
You will probably want to consult with an attorney and/or a tax professional (or accountant) in your area. A review by a professional, of your freelance business, your finances and your work as an independent contractor, can help in determining what is best for you personally, and is necessary for appropriate advice and direction.

In the meantime, you might want to check out the Freelancers Union (http://www.freelancersunion.org, which has a wealth of information for freelance workers, working in New York and elsewhere. The unofficial motto of the Union is: "The union makes us not so weak." ;)

Good luck.

patrick1306

Thanks for the advice.
I was hoping not to have to consult an attorney, that's why I was asking here first...anyone else knows the answer to my question or have been in the same position?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You will probably want to consult with an attorney and/or a tax professional (or accountant) in your area. A review by a professional, of your freelance business, your finances and your work as an independent contractor, can help in determining what is best for you personally, and is necessary for appropriate advice and direction.

In the meantime, you might want to check out the Freelancers Union (http://www.freelancersunion.org, which has a wealth of information for freelance workers, working in New York and elsewhere. The unofficial motto of the Union is: "The union makes us not so weak." ;)

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice.
I was hoping not to have to consult an attorney, that's why I was asking here first...anyone else knows the answer to my question or have been in the same position?
Alrighty then. :cool:

quincy

Thanks for the advice.
As an independent contractor, you don't have to "open as a company."

However, whether it is to your benefit to do so will require a personal review of the facts of your situation, and no one here can provide you with this personal review.

I know that you do not want to consult with an attorney - it is an expense many people prefer to avoid - but consulting with a professional in your area is the way you get legal answers specific to your needs. And it is the smart thing to do when starting any new business.

Good luck.

patrick1306

Thanks for the advices.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound angry or anything,
I just started not too long ago and event if I am starting to make some decent money I don't really want all of it to go in some lawyer's fees.

I'll think about it tho, it would probably save me some troubles in the futur

Thanks again

quincy

Thanks for the advices.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound angry or anything,
I just started not too long ago and event if I am starting to make some decent money I don't really want all of it to go in some lawyer's fees.

I'll think about it tho, it would probably save me some troubles in the futur

Thanks again
You're welcome, Patrick. And you didn't sound angry or anything. :)

Vous pouvez verifier le lien que je vous ai fournies. Il y a libre ressources disponibles pour vous aider.

Bonne chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">