• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I register both business names?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryaua1

*Arkansas*

Here is the background info. I am starting a lingerie business that will be mainly over the web, but I will be advertising local in my area.

Because of "wanting to be discreet" issues with the type of clients I'm going after, I will be billing and shipping everything "H&J Services" (which is a name I legally have all the paperwork and tax papers (just got) done for because I do consignment on ebay for non-computerize folks).

But my store name is a lingerie type name. Do I need to get a DBA at least in that name as well to keep someone from snatching it (if I do great buisness wise)....then go for a national registration if I do excellent and becomes known.

Thanks for any insight
Jacqueline

HomeGuru

ryaua1 said:
*Arkansas*

Here is the background info. I am starting a lingerie business that will be mainly over the web, but I will be advertising local in my area.

Because of "wanting to be discreet" issues with the type of clients I'm going after, I will be billing and shipping everything "H&J Services" (which is a name I legally have all the paperwork and tax papers (just got) done for because I do consignment on ebay for non-computerize folks).

But my store name is a lingerie type name. Do I need to get a DBA at least in that name as well to keep someone from snatching it (if I do great buisness wise)....then go for a national registration if I do excellent and becomes known.

Thanks for any insight
Jacqueline
**A: yes, and i would go so far as to set up a new LLC or Corporation for this biz.
If Fredericks, Victoria's, etc. can do it, so can you.

R

ryaua1

Is setting up as a Corporation something I would need to talk to an attorney about?

HomeGuru

ryaua1 said:
Is setting up as a Corporation something I would need to talk to an attorney about?
**A: yes or try talking to your state office where corporations are registered.

R

ryaua1

Thank you so much!

One last question, I promise =)

Would getting a copywrite/trademark on my lingerie name protect me better than forming a LLC or Corporation? (since llc and corporation is just statewise and it won't prevent someone from neighboring state getting it in their state?)

Jacqueline

HomeGuru

ryaua1 said:
Thank you so much!

One last question, I promise =)

Would getting a copywrite/trademark on my lingerie name protect me better than forming a LLC or Corporation? (since llc and corporation is just statewise and it won't prevent someone from neighboring state getting it in their state?)

Jacqueline
**A: no, you are talking about 2 entirely separate issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">