• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does having a name similar to a competetitor have a legal complication?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heman82

What is the name of your state? - IL

I plan to start a website business and wanted to know if there will be any legal complications to start it with a name similar to a well established competitor.

For example: There is a very established website by name, say www.abcd.com. I wanted to start my own business selling almost similar thing with a name www.abcd-us.com . Can the company abcd sue me for spoofing its name?

Thanks for your help!

- Heman..

quincy

Yes, there can be legal complications. You can be prevented from using your own name for a business if it causes consumer confusion.

H

Hannah13

and if you still do make sure your competitor does not have bad filings with the BBB...OR it will reflect on you in error.
I am in the credit business...is it a bad idea to have same name people? Juniors and Seniors...YES...
Credit reports get mixed up ALL the time. Consider these factors too.

xmordeciax

I have seen cases where large corporations have sent cease and dessist letters to certain companies who are using similar names who are in similar industries.

One that comes to mind is a small town family run coffee shop who's owner used her maiden name "Bucks" and named the coffee shop "SamBucks". Starbucks found out and sent a cease and desist letter threatening legal action against the company if they diid not change the name. I don't know the outcome of it all, and i don't know what kind of situation you are in, but honestly you do not want to have to fight a court case against a large corporation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">