• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"doing business in the state of" question - what to have in my contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evoluent

I am an Oregon based freelancer.

Until now, my contract has always specified: Client agrees that the purchase of the services described herein constitutes “doing business” in the State of Oregon and submits itself to the jurisdiction of the State of Oregon with respect to any suit brought by Developer to collect any sums hereunder.

But now I have a client who wants me to change this to New York, where their company is.

Who wins? What is appropriate? Oregon because I provide the service, or New York because they pay the bill?

Thanks for your insight!

-Tony

VeronicaLodge

the law doesn't decide who wins, its something you and he are negotiating and whatever ends up in the contract wins. you can insist on keeping it your way but maybe lose the client or he can insist and maybe not get to business with you.

its up to you if you want to take his request or insist on your clause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">