• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is an e-mail quote legally binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LizP

I am a student living in MN currently, but moving to NC to go to school. Recently I requested a quote from an auto transport service. The quote request form I filled out asked where my car would be picked up and where it would be dropped off. A few days later I received an e-mail quote with that information and a quote price of $425. I filled out an order request form and they called me back to put down a deposit. Only this time, the quote had jumped up to $690. The lady I spoke to looked back at the e-mail quote and then told me that the quote had been a clerical error--that the girl filling out the quote had made a mistake with the cost. (But she had gotten all the other information correct). Right before I called back to make a deposit, I went ahead and made non-refundable plane reservations. I called and spoke to two managers about the mistake, hoping that they'd take care of the difference but the woman I spoke with said that they were only a small brokerage firm and could not do that. She said that she could put the order in for $425 but that no truck would pick it up for that price. Is there anything that I can do or am I just going to have to come up with the money? I'd appreciate any advice.

T

Tracey

Read the web site. Does it say a quote is a contract or just their best guess as to what they can get a truck for? Chances are you're stuck paying the extra.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">