• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ebay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimdeglopper

What is the name of your state? KY

My ex is claiming that he is running an Ebay business for a friend. I think that it is HIS business. The paypal account, the Ebay account and all correspondence is in his name. He tells me that it is illegal for him to run an Ebay business for a person in that persons name. I have never heard of this...is it true or is he trying to get away with something here?

outonbail

What is the name of your state? KY

My ex is claiming that he is running an Ebay business for a friend. I think that it is HIS business. The paypal account, the Ebay account and all correspondence is in his name. He tells me that it is illegal for him to run an Ebay business for a person in that persons name. I have never heard of this...is it true or is he trying to get away with something here?
You're right, it's his business and he's trying to get away from something,,,,, you!
He also may be getting scammed by someone, if he's collecting funds for someone else who is supposed to be selling/shipping a product or item from an auction.

Why do you care, does he owe you money/child support?

kimdeglopper

You're right, it's his business and he's trying to get away from something,,,,, you!
He also may be getting scammed by someone, if he's collecting funds for someone else who is supposed to be selling/shipping a product or item from an auction.

Why do you care, does he owe you money/child support?
Yup, owes me support and is suddenly poverty level the last two years. I found his Ebay business because a Friend saw him sending out packages with his name and a business name on it. So I printed off 3 months worth of reviews on sales and purchases and they based an income on that. Now he is saying it isn't his.

outonbail

Yup, owes me support and is suddenly poverty level the last two years. I found his Ebay business because a Friend saw him sending out packages with his name and a business name on it. So I printed off 3 months worth of reviews on sales and purchases and they based an income on that. Now he is saying it isn't his.
Well, if he's using a business name on these packages as well as his name, you should research the fictitious business statement at the county clerk's office. You simply go to the county clerk or whoever handles the fictitious business registration and look up the name of the business he's putting on these packages and you will see who the owner of this business actually is.
Of course even if he's not the legal owner of the business, I can't imagine he would be packaging and shipping merchandise from his ebay account, without receiving some sort of compensation for his troubles.

kimdeglopper

Well, if he's using a business name on these packages as well as his name, you should research the fictitious business statement at the county clerk's office. You simply go to the county clerk or whoever handles the fictitious business registration and look up the name of the business he's putting on these packages and you will see who the owner of this business actually is.
Of course even if he's not the legal owner of the business, I can't imagine he would be packaging and shipping merchandise from his ebay account, without receiving some sort of compensation for his troubles.
I am very frustrated at this point. We went in front of the referee and my ex flat out said that he was doing all the invoicing, packaging, selling, buying and correspondence...but it was all for his friend. Meanwhile the business that he claims is his is going under and not making a penny. Why isn't he investing his time and energy into getting that business under control as opposed to doing work for a friend for free? I plan to request the court to impute wages based upon his former trade...he was a tool & die maker. It has been ten years since he was in the trade and I don't know if they will consider it. The way he is requesting support to be calculated would have him paying me a mere $4 per week for one child. That is beyond absurd. This is our second time to court. They ordered him to pay $100 per week based on his income with the first business, then he asked for a reduction because he has our son quite often, I agreed, based on the information I provided they added his Ebay income, so he objected again. this will be our second time in front of the referee and then it goes before the judge so I want to be as informed about Ebay businesses as I can. Is there any legal way to buy and sell for someone else under your own name and business name?
(btw I will check on the fictitious business thing)

outonbail

Is there any legal way to buy and sell for someone else under your own name and business name?
I don't know what you're talking about as far as buying and selling for someone else under you're own name. Either he is in business for himself or he is not and works for someone else. The only other option would be if he is a charity doing these things for homeless children, which I seriously doubt, seeing how he doesn't want to support his own children.
But I can't see the judge buying into his claim that he does all this work for a friend for free. Unless he's a complete idiot, (you're ex, not the judge) there is no way he would do all this work for someone else while he himself isn't earning any wages to support himself or his children, it doesn't make any sense.
Go look up who the owner of the business is and start from there. You can also look up a business by using the owners last name to search the fictitious records.

Usually when someone starts using their own name for an ebay account so they can sell for someone else, there is some hanky panky going on anyway. For example, one seller has too many complaints or bad/fraudulent business practices so ebay suspends their account. Then they have someone else open an account under their name so they can continue to screw people under someone else's name. This is of course against ebay rules and not legal under ebay's contract, but until ebay discovers this has happened, people get away with it. Not that this is what's happening in you're ex's case, I just see a red flag when someone tells me they are doing it for someone else.

kimdeglopper

I can't see the judge buying into his claim that he does all this work for a friend for free. Unless he's a complete idiot, (you're ex, not the judge) there is no way he would do all this work for someone else while he himself isn't earning any wages to support himself or his children, it doesn't make any sense.

He wouldn't work for someone for free. That is why I am so angry about it. He is making tons of money. Does he have to be registered? I think that I have called the Clerks office before and they couldn't find anything. I do think that the judge is on to him, but I am still worried that somehow he has found a legitimate way to get out of this. When we first got divorced he was paying $48 per week for two kids because he just started his "real" business...(you know, the poverty level, failing one). The judge bought into it and he paid that for YEARS. Now it is up for re-evaluation and he is suddenly poor again. In the last few years, I have seen him build a new house, buy cars, snowmobiles, go to Hawaii, go on cruises...yet his business is going down. (He claims that his wife's income is taking care of all of that). Uh, right. It bothers me that he is lieing to get out of taking care of his son. He thinks that I am going to buy a new car with the money or something. BTW...thanks for all your input. If you have other ways to cover this whole thing...I am glad to listen!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">