• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ebay online only business with self made items (New York)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OranGutan09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm looking into starting a business selling custom woodwork over ebay. I've read a few articles on this and just a little confused how this works in New York. Do I still have to pay sales taxes and apply for a reseller license if the product is made by hand, by me. Also I was wondering if I have to pay any state sales taxes if I don't have any presence in the state. Is it pretty much just registering as a Sole Proprietor and then paying your taxes?

I think a lot of articles just include a bunch of other stuff, like one said I need to get an Employer ID number? Is that even needed if I'm a sole proprietor with no employees?

If anybody owns a legal, legitimate ebay store, I'd want to hear from you.

FlyingRon

If you produce a tangible personal property for sale in NY and you have a NY nexus (i.e., you're making them there), then yes you MUST register for sales tax and collect it from New York sales. There are exemptions for certain home businesses (like baked goods or child care) but yours appears not to be one of them. Ebay provides a means to collect the sales tax on your sales there.

You don't have to "register" otherwise as a sole proprietor. You ARE a sole proprietor by being in business by your self.

You don't need an EIN. You can use your SSN as a sole proprietor. There are a few times when an EIN might be advisable, but you can forgo it now.

OranGutan09

If you produce a tangible personal property for sale in NY and you have a NY nexus (i.e., you're making them there), then yes you MUST register for sales tax and collect it from New York sales. There are exemptions for certain home businesses (like baked goods or child care) but yours appears not to be one of them. Ebay provides a means to collect the sales tax on your sales there.

You don't have to "register" otherwise as a sole proprietor. You ARE a sole proprietor by being in business by your self.

You don't need an EIN. You can use your SSN as a sole proprietor. There are a few times when an EIN might be advisable, but you can forgo it now.

Hey thanks for replying. Just to want to clarify. I'm making them at my home, so there is literally nothing tying the actual business to NY state, other then that I live here, you're saying that's enough to justify it? Also where can I find exact guidelines on this? Is there a website or a law statute that I can look up?

edit: Also I don't need a re seller license right?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">