• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee at small business. what should I propose to my boss?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaredmt

I am currently the only employee at my company. I'm an engineer and have been working here for about 9 months. I have a good business relationship with the boss.
I'm working for very low wages (less than half of starting engineer) but to make up for it I am supposed to get bonus on the profits we make. When/if this company takes off this could be a good deal as long as nothing goes wrong. As of now, nothing about this bonus is in writing.

That's why i am here because I am wondering what exactly I should ask to get in writing. should I just get a contract where I collect a certain % of the profits?
what if i work here for 2 years then the company takes off and I just get fired? all that work for low wages for nothing.
Or should I also ask to own a small part of the business? if so, how much of the business should i ask for?

I have no money to invest, my boss has all the capital. he has been running this company for 10+ years. i am only investing by accepting low wages. but i have helped take a business that was losing a lot of money very fast and i help fixed the problems. we are now at the point where we aren't losing but aren't taking off yet. and I definitely see this company taking off soon. I have proven to be the only engineer he can trust so far so he definitely wouldn't want to see me work elsewhere knowing i can make higher wages. but i don't want to waste my time, i need a deal that will make it worth my while. any advice would be appreciated

should I propose:
1) contract for bonus salary
or
2) contract AND ownership/partnership/?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">