• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equipment Damage by Utility Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steve_Sterry

On Monday, April 17, 2000, we had a power outage between the hours of approximately 2:30 PM and 9:00 PM. Sometime between 7:30 PM and 9:00 PM, the power started coming back on at extremely low levels. The lights were very dim, and my answering machine started to make funny noises. I attempted to turn everything off and thought I had done so, until the following morning, when I turned on my AM/FM Scott RS550 tuner and found that it did not work at all.

I submitted a claim to my electrical distribution company, Southern California Edison, because I believe that my equipment's failure was caused by the abnormally low power being transferred over the line, while my tuner was activated in a power standby mode.

My claim was denied, and it appears that my only resource is small claims court. The replacement cost on my stereo is around $199. Edison says that I can't prove that their outage caused the problem. Yet, I know that it did since it was working fine before the outage.

Does it appear that I might have a worthwhile case with potential for Edison to pay for the damage, or would I be better off to swallow my pride and forget it?

------------------
Invest In Vets
They Purchased Your Freedom

JETX

This is a 'coin-toss'. You are going to have a lot of aggravation, and possibly lose any case that you might bring.

Here is what I foresee in a suit:
1) You will have to take your equipment to a competent shop and have it examined. You are going to need a statement that the cause of the damage was the power company outage.
2) Power company can claim the outage was not their fault (car accident dropped pole, transformer, etc.)

Basically, a lot of hassle for a maybe win. Also, why not claim on your homeowners insurance???

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">