• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Owned apartment complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janez87

my immediate family owns an apartment complex in NY. we elected the business structure as an LLC for tax purposes. we now each have 1/3 ownership. One member collects all the rent and takes care of the property while the other two are in name only. How can you avoid paying taxes on profits you do not actually receive? Can we elect another business structure where we do are not liable for tax on money we actually do not receive.

HomeGuru

janez87 said:
my immediate family owns an apartment complex in NY. we elected the business structure as an LLC for tax purposes. we now each have 1/3 ownership. One member collects all the rent and takes care of the property while the other two are in name only. How can you avoid paying taxes on profits you do not actually receive? Can we elect another business structure where we do are not liable for tax on money we actually do not receive.

**A: consult with a CPA. You should not have individual tax liability but rather the LLC. as the owner of the real property.

J

janez87

Home Guru

What do you mean by I should not have individual tax liability but rather the LLC. as the owner of the real property.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">