• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Female "Scorned"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mern

I just need to know if there is a legal problem to address here. In Nov. 1999, I began doing business with a company out of Texas. After several months, I became romantically involved with the daughter of the owner. She and I met at several conventions in several states for business. The father's company paid my expenses to 2 conferences because I represented the company for him. The daughter was sent to these also to represent the company. In June 2000, the father paid my expenses to come to his state to do work for him. He also gave me a letter stating that all of my debt was clear with him and that my balance was 0. The daughter came to Texas in July (to stay a week) to see if the relationship was going to work. I offered to pay half of her airfare but she refused. She only stayed 28 hrs!! She had me take her back to the airport the next day. I offered to pay half of the penalty for the early return. She again refused. I never signed any agreements or anything and now I have received a "Bill" from her for "Services Rendered". She wants me to pay for her complete airfare to TX and the early return penalty (which she already refused my assistance)AND to pay for the trip that HER DAD sent me on in April and also for her airfare to the same convention.It totals close to $1000. Before the "break-up", nothing was stated about paying anything. I truly believe that this is a vindictive gesture on her part. My concern is if there are any legal grounds where I am obligated to pay anything. I had decided to ignore it...the phone calls..the "bill". I thought it best not to respond in anyway. This woman takes very high-powered, mood-altering drugs so she isnt thinking like a normal person. I don't want to exaserbate the problem by having ANY contact at all. If I do have any liabilities, please let me know.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What could have possibly done in 28 hours to get her so upset with you? From your fact pattern, you have no liability to her. Tell her to take a pill, and if she wants anything, a judge will have to tell you so. Anything, short of that, she can "bite rocks." (I'd really like to know what happened).

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited August 08, 2000).]

M

Mern

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

What could have possibly done in 28 hours to get her so upset with you? From your fact pattern, you have no liability to her. Tell her to take a pill, and if she wants anything, a judge will have to tell you so. Anything, short of that, she can "bite rocks." (I'd really like to know what happened).

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, at the time that I got "involved" with this woman, I had been engaged to another woman here in Texas, for about a year (and we had been together for 6 yrs). this "out-of-state" woman knew this but was willing to try and "win" me to her side. My fiancee found out about this "fling" but wanted to wait it out and see what decision that I was going to make.(what a wonderful woman she is). I was really coinfused. I really didnt know what I wanted but I wanted to give the "new" relationship a chance. My fiancee and I had had some major problems with her family and me and I was tired of this. Anyway, the "scorned" woman and I planned to bring her from the state in the East to where I now live...in a very small town about 50 miles out of Houston. The plan here was to see if she could live in a small,slightly backward, town for a week, work with me in my business, and basically get along with all of this. If this week were successful, then she would move down for a couple of months for a longer stay. In my apartment, I have pictures of my fiancee and poems, framed on the wall, that she had given me. Plus most of the furniture there was either hers or bought by the two of us together. When I brought the "scorned" woman to my apartment, she proceeded to go around and take down all the stuff that my fiancee had given me and tried to tear up her pictures. She knew that I was still in love with my fiancee but that she and I had some things to work out while she was there. When she found out that all my funishings were from my previous relationship, she told me that it all had to go and that she would move her stuff down here from the East. I said no. She went balistic. I had told her previously, before she came that I was still seeing my former fiancee and that I was confused and really wanted to get things straight in my mind; that I was going to be open and truthful with her. She didnt want the truth. She also had som things in her closet that I wanted us to get out in the open. Because I refused to remove and get rid of things from my former relationship, she decided that there was no point in continuing the visit. So the next morning, she had me drive the 60+ miles back to the airport and drop her off to go back home. She called once, a week later, to tell me about all this money I owed her. About 2 weeks after that, I got this written bill that I explained in the other part of this. I guess that I just want reassurance that she can't use her dad's attorney and try to get this money out of me. I offered to pay half of her expenses at the time and she refused so I feel no obligation there and as for the business trips that her father financed, that is pure vindictiveness since he never required it. They live about 1600 miles from here and I just want this stupid mistake that I made to go away so I can go on with my life.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, got the message. Fairly interesting. She has no claim. It was her decision to make the flight, and to go back when she did. You have no obligation for the "visit" flights, or the previous flight. She's dreaming - - again. Of course, she can sue you. That's not the point, though. The real question is, can she prevail? While she may sue, and put you through the wringer doing it, ultimately, she'll lose. If she does, keep very detailed notes of your time spent and costs incurred on the potential litigation so, when she does lose, you'll have a strong damages case against her for "malicious prosecution." It might be a good idea, now, to get a free consultation with an attorney to go over the "what ifs" of such litigation, and have an attorney lined up, just in case.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited August 08, 2000).]

M

Mern

Thanks again for your response. Just one other thing on this. Is it possible to "sue" a person in Texas when the person doing the suing lives in the East? Wouldn't it be cost prohibitive? Besides, part of the expenses incurred were in Texas and some of the other was occurred in that eastern state? Would it be in small claims or what? As I stated, this woman is very unstable so it could go either way. I would hope a fair attorney would tell her that it was pointless. Well, thanks again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mern:
Thanks again for your response. Just one other thing on this. Is it possible to "sue" a person in Texas when the person doing the suing lives in the East? Wouldn't it be cost prohibitive? Besides, part of the expenses incurred were in Texas and some of the other was occurred in that eastern state? Would it be in small claims or what? As I stated, this woman is very unstable so it could go either way. I would hope a fair attorney would tell her that it was pointless. Well, thanks again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

She would have to sue in both jurisdictions; she won't qualify for Federal Court. But, let's remember who we're talking about here . . . she's a nut bag, but she's daddy's little rich girl nut bag - - so, anything's possible.

Good luck, and let me know when she communicates again.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">