• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fight over name, Re-post / cleaned up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NetPete

What is the name of your state? NY

I cleaned up the post and fixed all the mispellings, sorry about that.

I was involved in a corporate stock exchange with a friend, all that signifies is that I had 50% of the stocks in his company and it made me a 50% owner.

At one point in time we decided to think up a new name for our company. My friend chose a rather lengthy name which I pondered upon and found a shorter way to say almost the same thing.

My partner thought up "Technology on xxxxxx" and I thought up "Techs on xxxxxxx" We spoke about the names a few times and decided the “techs on XXXX” sounded better but never really pursued the name. Mean while after I thought up the “Techs on xxxxxx” name, I registered a domain name and a shortly after I entered a name reservation with NY state, which I just recently renewed. All the paper work leads back to me. I have it in black and white vs. just musing about a corporate name change every once in a while.

The thing that gets me is that he thinks he thought up the name and is threatening me to reconsider the use of the name. He thinks he thought up both names. He did not I thought of the second one. Would I have any legal issues by using this name? Does he any legal recourse?
I asked him on a few occasions if to register the new name and he brushed me off. Now that our business relationship went sour and we exchanged each others shares he threatening me not to use the name. I want to pursue the name in NY State. What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">