• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial disclosure requirements for S-Corps.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jason Smith

I am a consulting engineer in the state of Washington. I am a 'junior partner' in my firm. My firm is transferring from an Limited Liability Company business structure to a Professional Services Sub-Chapter S Corporation.

They previously had a minimum ownership requirement before allowing junior partners access to the company's financial records. My understanding of C Corporations is that they are required to provide financial disclosure to shareholders. Is this true of S Corporations?

Is it legal to not allow access to the company's financial information until some minimum threshold of ownership is met? Is this a right I can be legally asked to give up if I agree to sign an agreement that includes such a clause? If they are required to provide disclosure to me, is the level of disclosure well-defined, or can they effictively give me minimal information and consider it 'financial disclosure'?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">