• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HWG2

In 1986 my wife and I formed an S corporation in the state of Florida. In 1989 we divorced but remained owner/ employees of the corporation, each holding 50 % of the stock , equally. In 1997, she decided she no longer wished to be an employee of the corporation and sought employment elsewhere, retaining her 50% of stock. She wished to disolve the corporation .

The corporation had a property mortgage with 5 more years of payments , a bank loan for equipment, and credit card debts.I decided that it was better to continue with the corporation than it was to file bankruptcy and lose everything. We reached a joint decision to divide the debts equally. She took the mortgage while I took the loans and other corporate expenses(prop. tax, insurance premiums, corprate filing fees, and accounting expenses, etc). Five years have gone by, I have paid off most of the debts that I agreed to. She has rented out the property/building over the last 5 years to pay the mortgage. The tenant has moved out and she has asked me to pay half of the mortgage and associated expenses. I have made 5 installments with 2 years left to go. I have listed the property for sale but it doesn't look promising. I'd like to know if her signature is required on agreements for sale of the property. She is a stockholder but she resigned as a corporate officer. I 'm trying to ask you if she can block the sale of a corporate owned property by refusing to sign ?or is her signature not required as I am Pres. of the corporation.
I am interested in owner financing the sale of this property ,should the occasion arise , can she block the corporation from providing this form of financing?She would prefer bank financing so that she can receive cash up front. I would prefer to owner finance as it will provide more income over an extended period of time. I don't want to have to ask for 1/2 down and owner finance the balance as it is a large amount to expect someone to put down and it reduces the number of offers to purchase.
I would like to know if she is liable to pay half of the expenses that I carried alone during those 5 years? all of them , or just select expenses, and if so, why?
I believe that I'm entitled to some compensation, but I would like your opinion before I consult her.

Thank you

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">