• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First post disappeared. I'M STILL STUCK!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caneartist

Wisconsin. A few months ago, I clicked on one of those links that looks something like this: “Earn money by spending just an hour a day at the computer.” The minute I filled out the form, dozens of phone calls came in. I finally listened to one, Success Institute (SI). According to them, I could make lots of money on eBay by selling products from a drop shipper called DOBA. Well, nobody’s buying.
Then SBS called. That’s Small Business Success. When I asked the caller if they were associated with SI, I was told, “Yes.” He went on to explain how I needed a website, etc. All the while I thought SBS and SI were related. They aren’t! I was told to accept calls from Christian who would guide me through the process and all the tutorials.
Then, I was contacted by IEPlexus.com. They sound more credible than all the others. So I let them advise me.
I’m 64 years old and very naïve. It’s true. So, as you can guess, I am now in debt on five different credit cards for somewhere between $25,000 and $30,000. I’m not selling a thing. I’m on disability retirement and only receive about $1040.00 a month after taxes.
This has been such an ordeal that I just want to quit! I’m spending far more time than 1 hour a day. My husband is on the verge of divorcing me and I’m losing sleep.
Yes, there were contracts signed, but I only had 3 days to back out. They all sounded so enthusiastic! And I fell for it hook, line and sinker.
Is there anything that can be done to get me out of all this?
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

caneartist

But I'm married

I would gladly declare bankruptcy but I'm married. He makes decent money as semi-retired. All my credit cards are in my name only. Is it possible to declare bankruptcy for just myself?

latigo

I can declare bankruptcy without having my husband involved? How do I do that?
You must understand that under Wisconsin law those credit card debts – assuming that they incurred during the marriage - are presumed to be obligations owed jointly by you and your husband.

Consequently even if you alone were to file a petition in bankruptcy it could not relieve him of personal responsibility. (Wisconsin Statutes Section 766.55)

Furthermore, all of the property that the two of you have accumulated during the marriage that was not derived by way of separate gift or inheritance is considered marital property and is subject to the payment of marital obligations. (W. S. 766.55(2)(b))

Also should you file it would be necessary to declare and schedule all of those assets and that means everything, including your home, bank and savings accounts, retirement credits, etc., etc!

So before you consider declaring bankruptcy you need to speak with an attorney specializing in that field who can advise you of the consequences. (Many offer a free consultation.)

But I think he or she will agree that bankruptcy is not a viable option.

I can certain appreciate the strain this has placed on the relationship, but unless you were incurring those immense liabilities without your husband’s knowledge, I fail to see how he can fully acquit himself of blame.

OHRoadwarrior

Immediately check into whether you can still dispute the charges with your CC companies. You have a limited time to do so. It must be in writing. Call your states Attorney General and discuss this qualifying as Elder Abuse, it appears to.
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/46/90

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">