• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL online business/fictitious name registry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carrie26

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, I'd like to start a business strictly online. I checked the name in the fictitious registry for my state and its available as far as that goes. But, if I'm online and selling internationally etc., does the name have to be unique outside of my state as well?

I'm in the VERY beginning stages of research, so any info would be helpful, thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

Q: Hi, I'd like to start a business strictly online. I checked the name in the fictitious registry for my state and its available as far as that goes. But, if I'm online and selling internationally etc., does the name have to be unique outside of my state as well?

A: I have never heard of such a requirement. Fictitious names are pretty flimsy and there can be two companies operating in the same state with the same fictitious name, so I don't know why you could not do what you want to do.

clueless3

The Fictitious Name only applies to County level. If you file your business name there, another person can file the exact same name in another County.

If you want to "reserve" the business name widely, not just on a County basis but on the State and Federal levels as well, you should be prepared to spend some good money.

The short answer to your question: No, the name of your business does not have to be unique anywhere. If this is a small business with not much income (in the foreseeable future), then I'd just register whatever name in your County Clerk Office, in which case it must be unique within that County.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">