• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food trading laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reichedr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello,

I'm thinking of starting a small business locally to allow trade of various food items (garden vegetables etc..). I was wondering if there are any laws prohibiting this from happening on a state or federal scale. There would be no monetary compensation in this business. All product would be supplied by local individuals that would like to trade their product with another person with a different product (product being fruit, vegetable, etc..)

Thanks,

Reichedr

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello,

I'm thinking of starting a small business locally to allow trade of various food items (garden vegetables etc..). I was wondering if there are any laws prohibiting this from happening on a state or federal scale. There would be no monetary compensation in this business. All product would be supplied by local individuals that would like to trade their product with another person with a different product (product being fruit, vegetable, etc..)

Thanks,

Reichedr
See here: http://www.ilstewards.org/policy-work/illinois-cottage-food-law/

quincy

In addition to Silverplum's link, here is a link to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Agriculture and Rural Development: http://www.ncsl.org/research/agriculture-and-rural-development/urban-agriculture-state-legislation.aspx

I suggest you "navigate" the Agriculture and Rural Development's Agriculture, Rural Communities, Federal Issues/Agriculture, and Food Safety sections (look to the right of the page) and explore the "Featured" boxes for additional information. The site is an excellent resource, providing information on current laws, pending legislation, food safety in community gardens and farmer's markets, and local problems and solutions.

quincy

I like your food trading business idea, reichedr, and I wish you good luck with it.

Silverplum and I appreciate the thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">