• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to shut down website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mattgq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A person starts a website blog (selling nothing),while working for another company in the same field.

A non-competing contract was never signed.

That company found out and fired the person and turned around and sued for "damages" as a result of returning private messages from people on their forum and saying that they "no longer work for that company and if you need me I can be found at xxxxxxxx.com website"

That company sues for "damages" and wants to force the website blog to shut down within 48hrs.

Can they actually force a website to shut down?

I understand termination (sort of) but force a website to shut down?

Ozark_Sophist

A person starts a website blog (selling nothing),while working for another company in the same field.

That company found out and fired the person and turned around and sued for "damages" as a result of returning private messages from people on their forum and saying that they "no longer work for that company and if you need me I can be found at xxxxxxxx.com website"

That company sues for "damages" and wants to force the website blog to shut down within 48hrs.

Did the person blog at work? On company time?

Mass_Shyster

The only way they can force the website to be shut down is with an injunction. They can demand the site to be shut down, but that carries no legal weight.

Mattgq

Did the person blog at work? On company time?
no, blog website was only done after all work was completed and person in question went home for the day.

they company takes offense and says that it is a "competing website" ... when anyone with eyesight can see its actually not even remotely close...lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">