• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced training from specific agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VARoamer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

I don't know if this is the right subforum for my situation, so please if it is not, just move my post to the right subforum. Thank you.

Situation:

I am being interviewed for a position as a care worker for the elderly. This position requires for me to have an FA and CPR training which I have to pay on my own. But the company is forcing me to take the classes only from certain companies in their contact list. When I asked if I could take it from a different company (not in their list), they said it has to be from their contact list otherwise I won't get hired and to look for a job somewhere else.

Can they force me to take the training from a company in their list?
The other companies I was looking at, were cheaper but still licensed.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

I don't know if this is the right subforum for my situation, so please if it is not, just move my post to the right subforum. Thank you.

Situation:

I am being interviewed for a position as a care worker for the elderly. This position requires for me to have an FA and CPR training which I have to pay on my own. But the company is forcing me to take the classes only from certain companies in their contact list. When I asked if I could take it from a different company (not in their list), they said it has to be from their contact list otherwise I won't get hired and to look for a job somewhere else.

Can they force me to take the training from a company in their list?
The other companies I was looking at, were cheaper but still licensed.

Thanks.
No way! They can't force you to use a company from the list, not at all!

Of course, they are free to not hire you because you don't.

VARoamer

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any place I can report them for this illegal practice?

I just see this forced training as a sign or worse things to come if I work for them.

Thanks.

quincy

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any place I can report them for this illegal practice?

I just see this forced training as a sign or worse things to come if I work for them.

Thanks.
Um, I think you misunderstood what Zigner said.

The company is NOT doing anything illegal by requiring that all training classes be taken at a company approved in advance by them.

There is NO illegal practice to report.

If you do not want to take the training classes through one of the company-approved companies, the company cannot FORCE you to take the classes through one of the company-approved companies.

BUT, if you don't, the company does not have to (and probably won't) hire you.

The choice is yours to make.

Last edited:

VARoamer

Got it thanks. Good to know.

FA and CPR classes are given by companies and their representatives (licensed by the state). Their certifications are valid in the state where they operate; they don't need to be approved by third party private companies. I just thought there was something going on between the company I interviewed for and their company contact list, maybe receiving cash back, who knows.

Again thanks for the clarification.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As you go through life you're going to learn that there are going to be quite a few things that employers will require of you that might not be exactly the way you want them to be. Because they have determined in advance that these companies put the emphasis where they are interested and that they cover all the material they want, whereas other companies may provide the same certification but may put the emphasis elsewhere, doesn't mean there's any illegal kickback.

It just means that you don't have a very good sense yet of how businesses work together.

Zigner

As you go through life you're going to learn that there are going to be quite a few things that employers will require of you that might not be exactly the way you want them to be. Because they have determined in advance that these companies put the emphasis where they are interested and that they cover all the material they want, whereas other companies may provide the same certification but may put the emphasis elsewhere, doesn't mean there's any illegal kickback.

It just means that you don't have a very good sense yet of how businesses work together.
It could also be that the owner of the company has a lifelong buddy who runs certification programs. Still nothing illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Exactly. There could be a hundred different reasons, all legal, why the employer wants these specific companies used that have nothing to do with kickback.

Zigner

Let's go down the "kickback" road a bit. In a purely private sector situation, would a "commission" for referrals be illegal? I don't think so...but I can see why people would ask.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I was wondering that myself. It has a nasty connotation but in this specific situation I'm thinking not illegal.

Not certain though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">