• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreigner starting business in us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarkoZile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Hi, I am process of putting together startup company, building team, gathering funds.
US is going to be main market for my product so I'm thinking of opening up company in states. I am not your citizen, and I am wondering is that going to be a problem. And are there any other legal matters that I should be aware of?
Thank you

FlyingRon

Hi, I am process of putting together startup company, building team, gathering funds.
US is going to be main market for my product so I'm thinking of opening up company in states. I am not your citizen, and I am wondering is that going to be a problem. And are there any other legal matters that I should be aware of?
Thank you
How do you expect to conduct the business? Are you selling over the internet? Are you going to need to enter the US? Are you going to employ US people.
Your question is way too vague to give a proper answer.

quincy

Thank you
I agree with FlyingRon that your question is too vague to provide you with any meaningful advice. It also appears to be too complicated for the simple question and answer format of a forum.

What is the name of your country, MarkoZile? Your country's laws will play a greater role in your company's development than the laws of the US.

LdiJ

Thank you
Your question is too simplistic for an internet forum, but what I can tell you is that if you are interested in opening up a US company to market your products in the US, then it can be helpful to partner with someone in the US. I have been involved in several US companies that were set up in that kind of manner. As long as the company is set up as a C-Corp, that setup works well.

In that setup your foreign company sells the product to the US company, and the US company in turn sells that product in the US. As far as shares in the US company is concerned, that can be anywhere from 50/50 if the US partner is equally sharing in the investment and startup costs, or 10/90 (or any other combination) if they are not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">