• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form X 201 DBA Filing Explained

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueman9909

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was confused by the form X 201, and I can't find any instruction on the internet. I just filed my registration and want to share my experience. See the sample below, input fields are underlined.

I HEREBY CERTIFY that I am conducting or transacting business under the name or designation
of ABC Capital
at 1234 Broadway, New York, NY 10011
City or Town of New York County of New York State of New York.
My full name is First Last
and I reside at 1234 Broadway, New York, NY 10011

I FURTHER CERTIFY that I am the successor in interest to
the person or persons heretofore using such name or names to carry on or conduct or transact business.

Type of business Investment Management (see next page)

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have signed this certificate on 1st October, 2010

(all the fields leave blank except last one)

Certificate of
CONDUCTING BUSINESS UNDER
THE NAME OF
ABC Capital

Remark
1. you can search if the name is already used here
NYS Department of State
2. the address need only upto street no., they will ask your exact address and phone no. when you register
3. if you are not buying or inheriting a business, leave the field "I am the successor in interest to ..." blank
4. for type of business, you can type any thing. you may want to refer to the IRS classification.
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf
5. for the large box after type of business, you don't need to type anything. My business type is "Investment Management", and they typed some disclaimer for me there during the registration.
6. don't sign the form, you need to sign in front of the Notary in the clerk office.
7. leave all the boxes for Notary blank, she will fill in herself
8. Clerk's office for Manhanttan is 60 Center Street, Rm 109B. I saw the instruction that 117B is for name search, but it already became a store room. There seems to have 2 computers in 109B, but I have no idea how to use them. There was no people waiting, so I just went straight to the counter for filing. It took about 10 mins.
9. You need at least 3 copies of the form (they will keep one for filing, one for you to open bank account, one to display at your shop). 100 for filing + 10 for each extra copy, so total 120 (cash only)
10. you can buy the form online at
Blumberg Legal Forms Online
or at the newsstand of the lobby, but it is stupid that the newsstand is at the employee entrance. I only saw it when I left.
11. Room 109B is at the basement. Toilet is on the 2nd Floor.
12. I heard you can notarized the form in any bank, and send the form and check to them. But I would rather file it directly at the clerk's office as they can check the company name and correct your mistake, if any, right away.

Good Luck.

tovj829

Thanks for this very useful information. I searched for many hours trying to find something to explain how to fill out the form.

Once I got to the county clerk's office, I was surprised how quick and easy it was to complete the registration process. Sure glad I did it myself because it would not be worth paying an online service to do it for you, like I was originally planning. Also, going to the office directly means it is done on the spot instead of having to wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Good luck with your business and thanks again.

lizvacco

One related question

Thank you for your thorough and helpful instructions. One question though - should the final section be:

Certificate of
FIRST LAST
Conducting business under the name of
DBA NAME

Or do you not need your first and last name there?

Thanks!

NomC

Thank you for your instructions. Would anyone know why there are 3 separate areas to have it notarized? If I am having it notarized and mailing it in to the county clerks office should I have them fill out all 3 areas or leave some blank for the county clerk?

Also, should it be printed double sided or on 2 sheets of paper or no difference?

Thanks

Last edited:

rsbkn

Form X 201 Fields, Notarization, & Payment

Thank you for your instructions. Would anyone know why there are 3 separate areas to have it notarized? If I am having it notarized and mailing it in to the county clerks office should I have them fill out all 3 areas or leave some blank for the county clerk?

Also, should it be printed double sided or on 2 sheets of paper or no difference?

Thanks

I just came back from a successful trip to the Queens County Clerk's Office at 88-11 Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica, NY, Room 106 just to the left after passing through security. The only fields you need to fill are the business name, full name ( first & last), address of the business, & where you or was it the place of business resides.

They didn't bother w/ any of the business related field(s). There is a Notary window just as you enter Room 106 on your left that handles notarization & also Passports. You will need three separate copies & you present them w/ your photo id w/ address. The person at window # 6 where they accept these forms did ask me if my address was different than what i had on my ID. I would assume if you filled out the fields w/ a separate address from where you reside or the place of business then I would gather you would need to show proof of address. Registration for other official government type of ids I've applied to accepted a utility bill.

The notary only needed to notarize the first page & not the other two spaces on top of the back of the form. I did inquire at Window 6 regardiing if making double sided copies of these forms were permitted & he said yes. Had I known it would've saved me an extra trip to purchase two more for $6.

One last tidbit is that the cashier's window does accept Visa, Mastercard, & at least one other credit card for the total payment of $120 where they will then hand you two copies.

Hope this helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">