• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forming a corporation with UK citizens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashfield

What is the name of your state? CO

I am starting a business with some friends in England who are already having some success distributing a particular product. At the moment, however, I can't form a corporation with myself as a shareholder because I'm in the middle of a personal bankruptcy. Would it be possible for my UK partners to form a US corporation without me for now so that we can get the business going sooner rather than later? What type of corporation can be formed by foreign residents? Any other ideas? P.S. I'm also looking for an attorney to help us with the corporation and whatever legal help we need in the future (preferably local to Boulder, Nederland, or Golden).

clueless3

Would it be possible for my UK partners to form a US corporation without me for now so that we can get the business going sooner rather than later? What type of corporation can be formed by foreign residents?
ANYONE can be a stockholder of a US corporation. As long as the corp pays fees and franchise tax and income tax, the corp should be fine.

However, if the foreign individual wants to ACTIVELY engage in business in the US, he must meet immigration and homeland security qualifications.

The BUSINESS that the individual engages in must also meet government qualifications.

There are only two types of corporations: "regular" and "professional". The individual can form either. For the professional corporation, he must also meet the State's requirements (for percentage of ownership, licensing, pay, etc.).

I'm also looking for an attorney to help us with the corporation and whatever legal help we need in the future (preferably local to Boulder, Nederland, or Golden).
http://www.findlaw.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">