• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forming an LLC to protect one or more dot com businesses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OptionF1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have several dot com businesses and want to form an LLC in WY.
I see many websites example xyz.com under company name xyz.com LLC.
Can I have more than one dot com business both protected under the umbrella of an LLC?
Also, can (or should) the LLC name be different than either of the dot com names?.
Please advise the best way to form this LLC .
Thank you

FlyingRon

A website isn't itself a business entity, and it's name is even less so.
Yes if your business has multiple websites, they can all be the same corporate (or LLC) entity.
There's nothing that says the site name has to be the name of the business entity that is running it. For example, this site is not run by a company called "FreeAdvice.com."

If you did want to do business (enter into contracts, accept money) in the name of the site, then you may need a TRADE NAME or FICTITIOUS entity registration.

LLCs don't offer much protection (especially in the case of one man operations). Just what protection are you envisioning. Of course, within an LLC, the various sites aren't protected against actions against each other.

OptionF1

A website isn't itself a business entity, and it's name is even less so.
Yes if your business has multiple websites, they can all be the same corporate (or LLC) entity.
There's nothing that says the site name has to be the name of the business entity that is running it. For example, this site is not run by a company called "FreeAdvice.com."

If you did want to do business (enter into contracts, accept money) in the name of the site, then you may need a TRADE NAME or FICTITIOUS entity registration.

LLCs don't offer much protection (especially in the case of one man operations). Just what protection are you envisioning. Of course, within an LLC, the various sites aren't protected against actions against each other.

1.Thank you for your knowledge and advice. The kind of protection I am talking about is general. and against lawsuits (in which my personal assets could come into play.) I am not anticipating this happening... trying to cover important bases.

2. I likely will form the LLC under a name other than either of the dot com names. When I am forming the LLC, can you advise where or in what section of the process do I include the dot com websites? I will probably use one of the online services to do this.
Thank you again

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1.Thank you for your knowledge and advice. The kind of protection I am talking about is general. and against lawsuits (in which my personal assets could come into play.) I am not anticipating this happening... trying to cover important bases.
How many members do you expect to have in the LLC?

OptionF1

How many members do you expect to have in the LLC?
I am thinking at this point about myself as the sole member, however I have someone else interested.
Briefly if you can,, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having one or two members? (can we add members later on)?
Also what is a reasonable number of shares of stock to issue (what do we base that on?) and is this necessary?

Thank you again

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am thinking at this point about myself as the sole member, however I have someone else interested.
Briefly if you can,, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having one or two members? (can we add members later on)?
Also what is a reasonable number of shares of stock to issue (what do we base that on?) and is this necessary?

Thank you again
The point is that a sole-member LLC offers very little protection. It would be exceedingly easy to pierce the corporate veil. I think what you need is copious amounts of insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">