• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fraternal loan, verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hanul12274

Hello and help!
I am a student in Virginia, my brother lent me $1500.00 with the intent looking for a car. I ended up having to use the money for maintenance on the vehicle I am driving now and for school. We agreed on a payment schedule. I have maintained that payment schedule. I even offered to pay back as much over the agreed bi-monthly amount as possible and available. :confused He is angry that I did not use the money to buy a car and is now threatening to take me to court. I know this is probably a matter for small claims, but there wasn't a forum for it. Does he have any bases for a case? I would appreciate any advice. Thank You,
brennan

[This message has been edited by hanul12274 (edited June 29, 2000).]

JETX

What basis is his claim for taking you to court? Was this agreement in writing? Does it specifically say that the loan was to purchase a car?

1) Breach of contract? You say you are making payments, no breach.

2) Failing to buy the car? Unless the loan agreement specifically says that it was for a car purchase (was the car to be collateral?), he has no basis.

3) Specific performance? Again, is the car purchase a requirement of the contract?

Sounds like another prima facie example of ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING! and GET ALL THE DETAILS!!!

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]

H

hanul12274

Thank you for replying.
Actually nothing was in writing. He wants to base his case on a verbal agreement to purchase a car with the money. Like I mentioned before I have and continue to make payments on schedule. He also said that as the creditor he is the lien holder, but I am still trying to figure out what he has a lien on. The car was never supposed to be collateral. So, there is no basis for a case?
Should I even bother to get an atty? I really appreciate your comments.

T

Tracey

Even is you had agreed that the car would be collateral for the $1500, he couldn't put a lien on the car. Liens must be in writing & signed. Unless the agreement was that you'd use the money to buy a car & if you didn't buy a car you'd return it, he hasn't a leg to stand on. Write him (certified, return receipt), explaining this. If he persists in going to court, show the judge a copy of the letter & ask for sanctions.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

H

hanul12274

Thank yoou very much for your responses to my problem. You are all very generous. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">