• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud and Theft???!? Please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwebdesign

New York

Hi,

I am a student in NYC. I was in progress to design a website for a customer, when I realized the website was too complicated for me to design. So I told a person I knew on the internet if he could design the website and give me 10% profit for referring the customer to him. (He is an intern at a design firm).

So I told the customer to send me the first payment and I will take out $200 for myself and forward the rest to the friend of mine as the first payment.

The customer then contacted the firm my friend had his internship at, and they told him that my friend was only an intern and could not make decisions for firm. I was not aware of this, because my friend said he had talked to his superior about this. I guess he lied to me.

Anyways. The customer sent me the money order, and now he says I am a fraud and thief and threatens to sue me if I do not return the $ in 24 hours.

I did not even touch the money he sent me yet, and I had doubts about my friend's proposal to send the check to him for his own name. But I am NOT in a fraud group. Please tell me what I am doing wrong, if at all??

I have contacted the customer, although he had set a "deadline" for me to contact him or he would call the police. I was not able to answer him as I was not at my computer all day (email). Please tell me if he can do damage to me.

I will mail back the check tommorow as the post office is closed now.

Please advise?

~Jason

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">