• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frozen bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Antoinette

Today (Saturday) I found out that my bank (Texas) froze my personal checking account 9 days ago. I have sufficient funds (which had cleared) and they have been bouncing my checks all over town. They never notifed me and I only found out because I was unable to cash a check. Is it legal to freeze accounts without cause and without notifying the account holder? What recourse do I have?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antoinette:
Today (Saturday) I found out that my bank (Texas) froze my personal checking account 9 days ago. I have sufficient funds (which had cleared) and they have been bouncing my checks all over town. They never notifed me and I only found out because I was unable to cash a check. Is it legal to freeze accounts without cause and without notifying the account holder? What recourse do I have?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

If you have a judgment against you, the bank must place an immediate "hold" on the account. The bank is not obligated to inform you, either prior to, or after the "hold" or "attachment".

Did you ever inquire as to the reason?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

JETX

Good news, bad news....

The bad news is: Yes, your bank account can be garnished to pay an outstanding judgment. Do you have a judgment outstanding???

The good news is: Texas is very specific on the process and requirements for garnishing property. For example, the garnishor (creditor) is REQUIRED to provide you with 'timely' notice of the action (this is normally done right AFTER the seizure). If the garnishor didn't follow the rules, you might be able to take action.

A lot of this depends on the facts that you have NOT provided; things like: cause of garnishment, address changes, etc.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

A

Antoinette

Thank you for your advice. I have tried to find out why my account was frozen but was told that I would have to speak to a manager, who was not available. My account was frozen and not garnished. I have no judgements against me. I have not changed my address. I have had my personal account there for several years and my business account there for 2 years. There are monies in both accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">