• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Future hubby bad debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

latasha

I am marrying a man that has bad credit. His credit report still shows charge off's from 1991. Can i be held liable for that debt in any way once we become one. Also, he has a son from a previous marriage since i have assets and i make more money than he does. Can his ex come after us for more child support payments. I live in California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by latasha:
I am marrying a man that has bad credit. His credit report still shows charge off's from 1991. Can i be held liable for that debt in any way once we become one. Also, he has a son from a previous marriage since i have assets and i make more money than he does. Can his ex come after us for more child support payments. I live in California<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

First, any debts based upon a written contract, and older than 4 years, are not collectible by the creditors unless the creditors filed a lawsuit. And, that's 4 years from the date of last payment.

Next, "new mate income" cannot be used to calculate child support unless (and there's always one of those, isn't there?) there's a "severe hardship" involved; e.g., if the mother ever has to go on Welfare of Food Stamps, that's considered a severe hardship and your income would then be used to calculate a new support order.

Seriously, I understand that you love this man and that he's the person of your dreams - - we've all been there, done that. However, you have no idea all of the problems this Union is going to cost you, both in monetary terms and emotional terms. And these problems WILL happen, and so many others. I don't want to tell you what to do with the relationship, but I do want to warn you of the many years of potential hardship ahead of you. Just don't let him handle the checkbook. Make sure you take control of the finances between you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">