• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Partnership With Husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerseygal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi All!

I just found this site and am hoping someone can answer a few questions.

My husband opened a small store in 1990. We were advised at the time to register it as a General Partnership so that I would be able to work at the store and not be considered an employee. We were told at tax time that we needed to file partnership returns along with our regular tax returns. We did so until my husband and I separated in 2000. I had told my husband to take my name off the store and change it to a sole proprietorship but recently found out he never did. I have never received any money from the business. It barely makes enough to cover the bills.

Am I still required to file a partnership return even though I haven't received any money?

If so, what should I do about the years I didn't file one? (2001 - 2004)

What is the easiest way to get my name off the store?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks!

Sorry no one has responded, but sometimes its good that the know-it-alls don't try to answer a question they shouldn't.

IMHO, you should talk this over with your lawyer or tax professional. You say you and hubby separated...are you divorced? From the little I know about the subject, if you're divorced, then the decree should have addressed the subject. If you're not, then hubby should have been filing the partnership returns and you may have been included without your knowledge.

Talk with a professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">