• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mshipman

I am in Illinois and the computer manufacturer is in California. I bought my system Dec. 99. I paid to ship it to Ca. for replacement in January, receiving the refurbished tower Feb 4, 00. This tower was defective also, and after several months I got an authorization to return this one also. I was told at that time it would take 10-14 days before I would have another refurbished tower. On May 6th, I was told I would receive an upgrade and that it would take 10-14 days. Between May 20-26 I called for a status and was told the tower had not arrived until the 19th, that it would be shipped on the 26th and take 5-7 business days. On June 5th I was told that there was no way of telling if, or when my tower would be shipped. After numerous long distance phone calls, I was put on a high priority list to have a tower Fed Ex'd to me. I was told at this time I might receive two as they did not know if "one was in the air to me". After 1 week of being on the priority list and being told it could be another week before it was shipped I requested a refund of my money. I was told that a request would be put in but "he did not think I was entitled to a refund". On June 20th and 21st I received a tower (2 total). Now the manufacturer wants both returned BEFORE they can process a refund, with no guarantee that a refund will be issued, and if it is they could not say when I would receive it. In 6 months I have only had a working computer for 6 weeks. I will be without a computer for another unknown amount of time if I have to accede to their demands.

I would like a written guarantee of refund and date it will be received before I return anything to the manufacturer. BTW, they are requesting both be returned even though I did not request two, and had been told that I might receive two. Nothing was said about having to return the second one. Do I need a lawyer or a lawyer's advice?

Thank you
M. Shipman

T

Tracey

Assuming that you now have a working computer, you have no reason to cancel the contract. Therefore, they don't have to refund your money. The question, of course, is whether you have a working computer or 2 expensive paperweights! You only bought one computer, so you'll have to return the extra. Keep whichever one you want & return the other. They have to pay shipping & insurance. However, keep both computers until they demand one be returned and send you a FedEx postage paid label. The way these bozos operate, it'll be 6 months before they send the label. By that time, the computer will have broken again & you can demand a full refund.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">