• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giveaway vs Contest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wild20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I am trying to gain clarification for sweepstakes vs contests. I understand that no purchase necessary is a MUST. I was thinking of running a sweepstakes as a promotion. No purchase would be necessary, of course. But for users who purchased a product, they would also be automatically entered to win. I see this all the time, but is it legal? If not, I'll revert to just a contest, but thought I'd check. Thanks guys!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I am trying to gain clarification for sweepstakes vs contests. I understand that no purchase necessary is a MUST. I was thinking of running a sweepstakes as a promotion. No purchase would be necessary, of course. But for users who purchased a product, they would also be automatically entered to win. I see this all the time, but is it legal? If not, I'll revert to just a contest, but thought I'd check. Thanks guys!
Automatically entered to win what?

Here is a link to what is legal, and what wouldn't be: http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/publications/brochures/5-203-promotional-contests-of-chance.pdf

Last edited:

wild20

Thanks Quincy! It would be a small Netbook or Tablet. Well under the $600 reportable limit to the IRS. Just wanting to make sure people who purchase our product can be automatically entered to win as long as there is a "No purchase necessary" terms.

quincy

Thanks Quincy! It would be a small Netbook or Tablet. Well under the $600 reportable limit to the IRS. Just wanting to make sure people who purchase our product can be automatically entered to win as long as there is a "No purchase necessary" terms.
You're welcome, wild20.

I noticed that way back in 2006 you posted to the forum. At that time, you were forming a ministry. Please note in the link I provided where it says that "individuals and charitable/nonprofit organizations cannot offer promotions." I do not know if this caveat applies to you or not. You might want to contact your AG's Consumer Protection office for clarification of, or any questions on, any of what you read in the linked information.

Good luck and thanks for the thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">