• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving out personal information on Independent Contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Libby3501

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I work for an Independent Contractor for a local newspaper. I have a store that is disputing the amount of sales their store was charged. Incorrect counts were given from the company I am contracted with. Can the store base these counts on what was given by the company? I also found out the company I am contracted with gave out personal information to this store including address, dates I have been contracted and social security number. Is this legal for them to do this???

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I work for an Independent Contractor for a local newspaper. I have a store that is disputing the amount of sales their store was charged. Incorrect counts were given from the company I am contracted with. Can the store base these counts on what was given by the company?

**A: it depends upon what was agreed to in calculating the count.

#########
I also found out the company I am contracted with gave out personal information to this store including address, dates I have been contracted and social security number. Is this legal for them to do this???
**A: what was the reason the information was given out?

tranquility

If you gave it to them and it was not in violation of a written privacy policy, it was probably OK. From what you've written, it does not seem any violation.

quincy

Libby3501, the answer to HomeGuru's question is important, if you actually know the reason for the disclosure.

Are you being accused of something or being sued?

Employers can disclose to others both addresses and dates of employment. Generally an employer cannot disclose social security numbers to others (there are exceptions).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">