• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

glory281

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glory281

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My son is a mural/stencil artist for residential and commercial businesses and worked for a lady as a contractor for 15 years - he's decided to go off on his own and is putting up a website advertising his previous art jobs. He would like to put pictures of his previous art work that he did for her contacts online to show his expertise. My question is, can she sue him for using the pictures even tho' he painted them, yet she got him the jobs? There was never any contract signed between them and she sent him a 1099 every year for taxes. He never received any benefits from her or her company. He supplied all the equipment he needed for each job. Thank you for any help you can give us - he is presently unemployed and has no money to ask a lawyer.
Glory281

There was never any contract signed between them and she sent him a 1099 every year for taxes.
Oh, really? No employment agreement whatsoever? I find this quite hard to believe.

He never received any benefits from her or her company.
Except for a paycheck, right? But that's not a benefit, that's an entitlement, isn't it? :rolleyes:

He supplied all the equipment he needed for each job.
Yeah, probably because he was an independent contractor.

Absent you having any clue about his independent contractor's agreement, it's impossible to say... but I'm guessing that there's a pesky piece of paper somewhere that indicates that your son's former employer retains the rights to artistic services rendered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">