• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gourmet Dog Snacks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buckshotbuscuit

I am currently residing in IL. I am thinking about opening a Gourmet Dog Snack Company, and see there are a lot of recipes for dog treats on the internet. What are the laws concerning what recipes I can and cannot use and with what price or restrictions? Thank you for any help in advance.

racer72

Typical answer for starting a business. First, there is no way anyone can tell you everything through an internet forum. The best way is to get a job in the business and learn it from the inside out. After you know everything, then consider starting a business of your own. Also realize that about 50% of all small business startups fail in 2 years and the number is about 80% after 5.

clueless3

What are the laws concerning what recipes I can and cannot use and with what price or restrictions?
I'd be surprised to know if any state has passed any law regulating snacks for PETS.

There are a slew of diets and foods and supplements and all sort of schemes that claim all kinds of MIRACLES for HUMANS, and there is NO REGULATION WHATSOEVER for them. Why would I suppose that there would be ANY for PETS??

However, that will not prevent some GRIEVING pet owner from suing ANYONE, including the PET SNACK manufacturers, for the loss of their BELOVED pets.

divgradcurl

I am currently residing in IL. I am thinking about opening a Gourmet Dog Snack Company, and see there are a lot of recipes for dog treats on the internet. What are the laws concerning what recipes I can and cannot use and with what price or restrictions? Thank you for any help in advance.
You can use any recipes you find. You can sell your snacks for whatever price you can get for them.

Now, whether or not you can sell your treats legally, that's a question for whoever regulates animal feeds in your state, and maybe the Federal Department of Agriculture.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">