• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gov. loan/grants & student loan default

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buddyc

What is the name of your state? tx
Hello. I have a few questions:

1) I took out two loans - one federal and one was a TX student loan(not sure if that differs from straight federal) in 1992, paid for about a year, and stopped. I am in default and I think I understand that there my only option is repayment(which is fine). If I choose to pay in a lump sum and settle, is there a set percentage that they usually settle for? Who do I contact to set this up?

2) I want to start a business selling products on Ebay. Does the government give grants or loans for these online types of businesses?

3)Is it impossible to get gov grants/loans with student loans in default?If so, how long after I settle a default can I apply apply for and get one?

4)Also, do student loan defaults fall off you credit report after 7 years from the last payment? If it does, will the gov still easily recognize it if it has not been paid and block you from getting grants/loans from them anyway?

JETX

"1) I took out two loans - one federal and one was a TX student loan(not sure if that differs from straight federal) in 1992, paid for about a year, and stopped. I am in default and I think I understand that there my only option is repayment(which is fine). If I choose to pay in a lump sum and settle, is there a set percentage that they usually settle for? Who do I contact to set this up?"
*** No. You need to contact your original 'lender' as shown on your paperwork.

"2) I want to start a business selling products on Ebay. Does the government give grants or loans for these online types of businesses?"
*** No.

"3)Is it impossible to get gov grants/loans with student loans in default?If so, how long after I settle a default can I apply apply for and get one?"
*** Very unlikely. Depends on the lender.

"4)Also, do student loan defaults fall off you credit report after 7 years from the last payment? If it does, will the gov still easily recognize it if it has not been paid and block you from getting grants/loans from them anyway?"
*** No. No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">